Mandarin Dragonet

danedodger

How to get the pods from the fuge into the main tank? Don't worry about it. Some will just flow into the tank with the water and some will stay behind in the fuge to breed more.

drea

confusing... so if u have a well established tank will a manderin be ok? i'd like to add one as my last fish... i have a 70 gallon tall w/ 70 lbs of lr and ls
how can i check for pods? at night w/ a flashlight?

mudplayerx

Originally Posted by lRadlbeck
Anyone know if I can buy "pods" to feed a mandarin?
or if they will be just as happy with brine?
Hubby fell in love with this fish and I would really like to get
it for him for his b-day.
My tank is about 6 months old - DSB (about 5") and 100# of LR.
Thanks!!
Liz
Your tank sounds fine to me. 6 months old with 100 pounds of live rock is perfect for one mandarin. I've had one for about 6 months in my tank and I only have 60 pounds of live rock. I actually nursed him back to health from starvation at the store.

murph

Live brine have no nutritional value?? I often heard this said and am beginning to think that this notion is somewhat incorrect. Similar to the debate about silicates in sand or for that matter the tremendous amount of silicates in the glass pains that make up your fish house.
I know from my cichlid breeding days that the quickest way to get a female to go gravid was to feed her up with live brine in which case there must be some nutritional value with the feeding of live brine.
I am not trying to suggest that live brine would be a good diet for a Mandarin but could go a long way in warding off starvation in the absence of pods. Blood worms also seem to work as my scooter blenny loves them. Like was said though dragnets simply cannot compete with other fish when it comes to feeding these items to a community tank.

lradlbeck

Ok so I am going to get a hang IN tank fuge - they aren't huge but I think that it will be enough to supplement the mandarin. It is Length: 12in Width: 6" Height: 8".
Now next question. Should I move some of my LS in here and buy some algae? Sorry if these seem like dumb questions.
Thanks for helping to make my new addition happy!
He should be here friday - yay! Hubby will be happy.
Liz

murph

Not a dumb question at all. IMO find a nice big ball of cheato/spaghetti macro algae for the fuge. They usually come packed with pods and that will get things started in your fuge. A bit of LR in there can never hurt either.
Another thing you can do is try avoiding other species that are known to be good hunters of pods, for example six line wrasses. The less competition for food that your Mandarin has the better.

lradlbeck

Great!
Thanks!
I will have to order some of one of those algaes when I get the fuge in then - I have to order it - we don't have a really good LFS around here that carries that sort of thing.
THanks again for all the help!
Liz