Mandarin Dragonet

nyhcx516x

Well, "Mandarin Orange", as misnamed by my girlfriend (and the name may stick) is doing well. So far, im still amazed at my luck.
I turn off the HOB filter, and the nano korillia in the QT, let the water settle down, and after the water movement has stopped, I add some frozen cyclopeeze. He moves around at smlling it, but as assumed, wont go after any of it until it lands on the bottom, or the rock. After it isnt suspended in the water, he goes after the food.
In my main system, I can shut off my powerheads, but hesitate to kill my main return from the sump/refuge pump. Of course, the water level in my DT drops, while my refuge water level raises (not a big deal in the refuge). Does anyone see this (main pump cutoff) as a problem for an hour or so in the morning or evening? Giving him time to get some frozen food in addition to the copepods I know hes enjoying.
I was thinking about turninig off some of the pumps in the evening/overnight anyway. This may be another topic all together, but suggestions on that?

hlcroghan

I have trained my mandarin to eat in the one dead spot in the tank. I put the squirter down there and now he know that it means food. He will not swim after food in the water column ever but he eats like a pig everytime I feed the tank. The food just has to be on the sand or right by him......I have to watch the crabs and stuff though because they aren't stupid and have learned what the squirter means too. They try to chase him off and take the food sometimes. I just nudge them away and he comes back to eat. He is a huge fan of omega brine and mysis. He is nice and fat and happy!!! I do soak the food in garlic and vitamins though and I mix it with emerald diet and krill so he gets some of that too.

gypsana

I have finally decided to give a Mandarin a go as well. I am going to use the Mandarin Diner technique. I have a 90 gal with only three other fish and a 30 gal fuge. Good luck and I hope it does well.

nyhcx516x

Well, hes in the main system, and with shutting off the pumps, he does go after frozen food *after* it has settled down on the rock. :)

bonus shot of my new acan as well

hlcroghan

Looks gorgeous!!!!! i love them so much. it's my favorite fish...
Excellent that he is taking the frozen foods. they will start to get curious when they figure out that you are putting it in there. they won't actually swim after it but they will chase it on the sandbed itself.
make sure you get the omega brine shrimp not spirulina, since they need the omegas fatty acids more and they tend to like the mysis a lot as well. i mix all my foods together along with the vitamins, garlic, and extra vitamin c and the coral food and it sits overnight so he prolly gets a bit of everything. He doesn't like krill but he gets it because it is mixed it. I am going to try and add in some squid or something soon too.