Mandarin Dragonet

xcali1985

Originally Posted by Fretfreak13
http:///forum/post/3157397
I love the way they always look like they're gonna kiss you. lol Anyways, I'm building my tank around getting a mandarin in the longrun. I have a sump with a fuge, and will also be adding a HOB fuge too.
Basically take out all the filter media of your HOB, add a little LS (I hear isn't totally nessicery but I'm going to), some type of micro algea (most commonly used is Cheato, which can be bought at your LFS), and very porus LR rubble. They'll eat the cheato, breed in the LR. The light (which can be any kind of light, I'm using a reading light) helps the cheato to grow. The pods will slowly flow into the tank with the return water.
If you use a single compact will help with algae growth and not the bad kind. Pods don't need light at all, they feed on algae and can grow to nuisance populations if there isnt anything eating them. ALL FISH EAT PODS. Thats what ive learned they are the bottom of the food chain in the wild. They provide lots of nutrition for a wide variety of fish.
Ive heard stories of people who didn't feed their fish for weeks and they still looked healthy and active. They reverted back to their wild side and started hunting for food again.