mandarin dragonette

jacrmill

I was wondering if anybody was having any long term success with one. I would really like to get one but have been told they are really hard to get to eat any food other than live copepods living on the LR. I only have 25 lbs of LR so I am sure that is not enough to support a food population for him. The real question I guess is if I see him eat food from the fish store is it decently safe to get him?

fshhub

you prety much hit the nail on the head, and if you see it eating food at the lfs, then your chances are much better

frenchwitch

I have been very lucky through the years with these little guys. However, I have always had plenty of live rock. I currently have a pair in a small 37 gallon reef tank. I have had these guys for a number of years and even though they have plenty to eat they also like to dine on some frozen food as well. Believe it or not over time they can become quite friendly and enjoy being hand fed. The biggest concern with these is if you wish to keep more than one that is fine but just do not put two males in the same tank or it will be WWIII. To tell the difference just look at the top fin and if there is a spike looking extension then it is a male. However I would suggest before keeping more than one refer to a good reference showing diagrams of the difference... do not depend on the local fish guy to --- them for you.

tankstolove

I share the same experience. Supporting all the statements given. I think they are one of the most fascinating fish in the world. Reminds me of a humming bird in a garden.

jacrmill

this fish is the reason I got into he hobby. i saw it one day and have had a saltwater tank since. i was told that i could not have one though because i dont have like 150 lbs of LR. I do not want more than one, so that is not a concern but thank you because I will also be placing mine in a 37 gal tank. i think im going to look into getting one. thanks.

lnarobbins

I have had my manderian for about a year. I have a 90g tank w/ about 70lbs of LR he/she is always eating off the rock I have never seen the fish eat anything else.
the fish is doing fine