Mandarin Dragonnette

silentj

I got a green mandarin he looks nice and healthy.........should i get him a mate?? or is it better to keep them alone??

silentj

yeah i am oredering pods online and culturing them .thats what im gonna feed him.... as for the rock....i think have enough

120reefer

Originally Posted by mark_D
lion, how could one have a pod culture anyway? is it possible?
Yep... Plenty of LR in the display, sump/fuge setup with lots of places for microfauna to thrive (i.e- plenty of LR, LS, chaeto, ect.) If your doing it in a sump/fuge.. make sure the flow isnt too fast, and same thing if your fuge is a separate tank. Also remember that its very hard for a lot of microfauna to go through your return line into the display... so i like to just take my chaeto ball and "shake" into my display everyonce in a while to get things rollin again
IMO, even if you buy pods over the internet, and dunk into the display... it still isnt sufficient enough for mandarins. For long term success....a fuge setup is a must

alyssia

Originally Posted by 120reefer
Yep... Plenty of LR in the display, sump/fuge setup with lots of places for microfauna to thrive (i.e- plenty of LR, LS, chaeto, ect.) If your doing it in a sump/fuge.. make sure the flow isnt too fast, and same thing if your fuge is a separate tank. Also remember that its very hard for a lot of microfauna to go through your return line into the display... so i like to just take my chaeto ball and "shake" into my display everyonce in a while to get things rollin again
IMO, even if you buy pods over the internet, and dunk into the display... it still isnt sufficient enough for mandarins. For long term success....a fuge setup is a must

I agree. You definitely need a fuge for a mandarin.

shlovell16

I know that Manderins feed off pods but can you produce enough pods off live rock to feed a manderin, or do you have to purchase your manderins food

alyssia

You can grow enough pods if you have at least 100 lbs of LR, and a very established tank (1+ years).

120reefer

Originally Posted by alyssia
You can grow enough pods if you have at least 100 lbs of LR, and a very established tank (1+ years).
Totally agreed
And having a fuge setup in addition helps to aid with the population....

mark_d

how big tho? i got a 10 gal tank here collectin dust... i could easily buy some sand, LR (not a whole lot but some), cheato, and then add online pods there and let nature take its course... would that work? would any filtration be necesarry for that?

promisetbg

Originally Posted by mark_D
how big tho? i got a 10 gal tank here collectin dust... i could easily buy some sand, LR (not a whole lot but some), cheato, and then add online pods there and let nature take its course... would that work? would any filtration be necesarry for that?
There is an article that says you can do it this way...but you have to fill it with phytoplankton until the water is green with it...so you would probably have to raise the phyto too to make it cost effective. When the water is no longer green, then you have to refill again with it. Every once in awhile the tank must be thoroughly cleaned out to remove their waste or the culture will die. A brine shrimp net can be used to remove the copepods for transport to your tank. You might be able to google this article...look for aquaculturing or raising copepods. I think it was written by Shimek.