Mandarin Fish

paisley

Me again. Last one today I promise.
I have had a Mandarin for about two months. I originally got him because I had a gillion copepods, and he took care of them in about a week. I figured he would run out of food and die after that, but luckily he hasn't. He still appears to be eating something off the rocks and glass, but I can't see anything. I only have 35-40 pounds of live rock in a 75 gallon tank. It stresses me out that this is not enough to provide sufficient food for him and I do not want him to die (although, as I said, he's still eating something and is acting fine) He's my wife's favorite fish (she calls him Paisley, hence my name on this site) and she would not be happy if he died. Any advice? Thanks.

My mandarin picks at the rocks and glass too, they feed off of algae and I have plenty of it. They do love to pick at the rock though.
Originally posted by Paisley:
Me again. Last one today I promise.
I have had a Mandarin for about two months. I originally got him because I had a gillion copepods, and he took care of them in about a week. I figured he would run out of food and die after that, but luckily he hasn't. He still appears to be eating something off the rocks and glass, but I can't see anything. I only have 35-40 pounds of live rock in a 75 gallon tank. It stresses me out that this is not enough to provide sufficient food for him and I do not want him to die (although, as I said, he's still eating something and is acting fine) He's my wife's favorite fish (she calls him Paisley, hence my name on this site) and she would not be happy if he died. Any advice? Thanks.

the rock

the rock says...
copepods multiply too fast for the mandarin to keep up. look in your sump if you want to add some more to your tank, check under rocks and stir the gravel, i'm sure there are still tons in your tank. the mandarin will find them and as long as he can find some microfauna he will be just fine

C

chadster

I have a mandarin goby as well and have had him for approximately 6 months. I read a few articles and based on these I had the same concerns you have. Mine picks at the rocks and glass and seems fairly carefree. I have not gone out of my way for special feeding and he seems to be fine. Took care of my copepods as well. But sometimes, late at night, I will take a peak at the tank and I have noticed some still scurrying around on the rock. Seems to me like they reproduce fast enough to at least give him a small supply of food.