Mandarin Gobie and Quarantine

bluegill

i have heard that it is very difficult for mandarins to live through a month long quarantine process due to their diet, etc.
if this is so, then how does one protect their showtanks against disease when introducing one of these fish?

mr . salty

Bluegill,did you see the new ones at deep sea??? I got one of those.The biggest,fattest,healthiest manderins I have ever seen.

bluegill

ahha!
those are some good ideas. maybe i'll take a couple of 5gal buckets w/heaters and powerheads and go back and forth between the two.
far as tobasco... think i'll leave that to the frying pan fishes! hehe hahaha. funny stuff.
mister s! no, i haven't seen the deep sea mandarins. i'm not sure how their tanks looked when you were there... but they are having some beeg time disease issues right now. is your fish doing good, and were you able to successfully add it to your show tank w/out quarantine?
if so then maybe i will just do that. let me know!

cactus jack

a month for quarantine huh? for a mandarin? the "reef" fishes are very disease resistant. anyhow, how about just feeding it live brine while its in the q-tank?

jacrmill

thats the problem with a mandarin in the first place. alot of them dont accept frozen brine. i would think taht a month is a really long time. with this one you might just wanna take a chance on this one, and go straight to the tank. as said above i believe they are pretty disease resistent.

mr . salty

I just acclimated him for about 20min,and tossed it in. I haven't seen him much since then.And not at all yesterday,or today.But I have over 100lbs of good live rock with no compitition for food(copapods) so I figure he's just hiding out and fattening up. I am keeping an eye on the large anemone for any expelled manderine parts.As for ich,I also have a very active cleaner wrasse that keeps the fish clean.He eats everything I throw in the tank(one of those rare ones I guess).