Mandarin Goby and Lawnmower Blenny

surferboy

BurnNSpy You say I hope I have a lucky Mandarin and you need a "Special" reef set-up to maintain them. My question is how do you know what kind of set-up I have? You are assuming I have the wrong kind of setup.
If you don't know the level of experience or tank specifics of a member than keep your negatives opionions to yourself!
You have failed to tell us what "special" setup you have to support a Mandarin, just like busting on other people that have them.

oozy

The reason i got into salt water is because all i wanted was a Manderin. However fater reading all the requirements to keep one healthy, i declined getting one. My LFS helped me setup my tank, basicly its their design (from all the advise) so when i walked in and asked, he told me streight up it will not live in my tank. sure i was dissapointed, but someday i will have the right setup in a huge tank...just my story... :)

K

kodi

BurnNSpy stick to your morals! I am relatively new to this board, however have been in the hobby for almost 20 years. I agree when you stated if they have to ask then they aren't ready, especially if they haven't done any research and then curse the replies given on this board.
Just remember to take the high road when they write back asking why the fish is dying and avoid the temtation to say "I told you so."

bayouguy

I have a mandarin goby that is doing well is a 10g saltwater tank with a UGF. He did not do well in my 55g reef tank, but once I moved him to a smaller tank he completely recovered. He loves brine shrimp but he is picky - he definitely takes his time and scopes out what he is about to eat so if you have more aggressive fish, he may have a hard time. My recommendation if you want to keep a Mandarin is attempt to slowly condition him to be more aggressive in feeding, starting with his own small tank and no competition and then perhaps working him up to being more competitive with other creatures in the tank - at least that's what I'm trying to do and so far, it's working.

burnnspy

Thank you Kodi, and BayouGuy I say again; You got a lucky Mandarin with a resourceful owner, this is not normally the case.
My 29gal Reef was set up with a Mandarin as my goal. That is why she is the only fish(no competition) and the tank has many pounds of small LR(vice large pieces) which has a large surface area for copepod and amphipod growth. I do not add any fish food to the tank and never have, she has been my queen fish for a year. At night when the lights go out my tank still swarms with amphipods and copepods.
This is the kind of setup I recommend for Mandarin fish keepers.
BurnNSpy

tnreef

I agree with you on this on BurNspy!
Mandarians are a very difficult fish to keep and must be introduced to a very stable REEF Tank. LR is essential for these beautiful fishes for their food source. I am very lucky to have a male dragonette that loves frozen brine and is doing wonderful in my 30. The normal rule is these fish will only accept live food and must not be housed with fast feeding species. for all who think 3 months is a long time!!!!!!! If you cannot care for your animals properly DO NOT PURCHASE THEM!!!!!!
IMO Darryl :mad:

mithrax

Owning a mandarin fish is a challenge. Not because you failed others will fail too. These two fishes can co-exist as I mentioned. They have different dietary requirements. Lawnmower blennies are mostly vegetarians, they prefer green algae (Note: they are not the same as scooter blennies). Mandarins like those small crustaceans which can be abundantly found in a well established tank. The original question specifically said "established" (by this I hope he meant there are lots of amphipods). So give him a chance to prove what he can accomplish. Don't you hate it when others limit what you can do? :mad:
[ June 07, 2001: Message edited by: Mithrax ]

burnnspy

Actually it is impossible for us to limit anyone here. My answer had nothing to do with the compatibility of the two fish but to meeting the needs of a Mandarin.
Established tanks also usually mean full of other fish(ie competitors) that a Mandarin will probably not be able to deal with and die.
I answers these questions in the hope that the asker will think seriously about whatever they purchase so it is not done blindly.
I believe a good reef keeper relies on knowledge and not luck or chance.
BurnNSpy

mithrax

Then you were not answering his question. You're giving a lecture that obviously he isn't interested in hearing. A tank that is full of other fish will be difficult to keep stable as the bioload is easily perturbed.

broomer5

I've been following this post all along and up until now I've kept my mouth shut.
Well ....
When someone asks a question regarding whether one species of fish can be kept with another species, there are basically three responses one can give.
1) Someone looks it up on a website or book, and replys with an answer.
2) Someone with direct personal experience with the fish in question replys.
3) A combination of the two above - which to me is the most valuable.
I have to agree with BurnNSpy on attempting to educate anyone that asks a question concerning these fish. I'm sure he's not trying to be a know it all, he just has a true appreciation for Mandarins. He has a dedicated reef tank with only one fish ... a Mandarin.
His response comes from books and personal experience. That is worth something to me.
Although I have been lucky so far with fish, I did lose a bubble tip rose anemone due to both my lack of their requirements, and my lack of proper lighting. I was pissed at myself for doing that. Everytime we purchase a fish we are running the risk of something not going right, and losing it. Even if we do everything right, there are occasional unexplainable deaths.
What Burn said was true ... at night when the lights are off ... if you take a flashlight and look in your tank, if it's not crawling with copepods, amphipods and worms, these fish really don't stand a chance. Brine shrimp or not ... they need an abundance of live food.
I keep two dragonetts, a Spotted and a Mandarin. Both are doing well so far in two seperate tanks. They both spend the entire day looking for food, picking the live rock and substrate and eating.
I hope I can continue to care for them.
Just how I feel folks
Brian

mithrax

Congratulations on your success. My point exactly, people can have these creatures if cared for properly. You can not judge someone's capability without knowing him. You don't jump and say you can't have these fishes because you have questions about them.That doesn't mean you know nothing, does it? When you ask questions on this BB, do you think people think you know nothing?

salttrigger

Hey BurnNspy!!!
How many fishes you lost or kill before you got what you call "experience".
And my Synchiropus splendidus its doing fine.
And i never ask what they eat,that i knew!!, all I did was ask if I can keep this two together
:p
[ June 08, 2001: Message edited by: SALTTRIGGER ]

TeeTee. I, right now, am looking 2pics. One of a scooter dragonet and one of a scooter blennie. So not to be rude but they are two species. When you buy a scooter dragonet it is most likely going to be a dragonet. Also the scooter blennie has a more ornate first dorsale fin and lacks the large more wing-like pelvic fins that alow it to glide through the water.
Also TeeTee the reason for the selling of sensitive creatures is the $$$. Have you ever noticed how much shorter the guarentee is on fresh water than marine. At my lfs it is about 15 for fresh and no guarentee on salt.
BurnNSPY. My scooter dragonet is one of the lucky ones and is still alive ever since January.
Adam
[ June 08, 2001: Message edited by: Salisbury A D ]

I think it was Grouperhead that said you need at least 100 pounds of lr and you need ls. When I got my scooter dragonet I had and still have about 30 pounds lr and when I got the fish I had dolimite. But I have since changed to sand.
The fish is still goin' strong and healthy. No pinched flanks.
Adam

q

Dude. Some of you need to grow thicker skin and increase oxygen flow to the brain. You ask a question. You get an answer. Just because it is said it is not recommended deosn't make it an personal attack. Instead note that it is a delicate fish wish a lot of needs to meet and so requires a lot of research.
Even though burnNspy used a little bit of sarcasm he didn't swear at you and loose his temper on the screen.
BurnNspy get a vote form me for handling himself well. At least he can take critisism.

flydan

Just to add my .02. I just got back from a brand new LFS (Big chain store.) about 10 minutes ago. They had two S.splendidus in the same small tank with about a dozen Damsel fish. The tag read "Mandarin Goby" and under its care said it would eat Flake, Pellet, Brine and Live foods.
Can you freakin' believe it?? :mad: :mad: :mad:
Guess that's the first and last time I go into *****,....ooops..... I mean that LFS. :p :p

sgtdraven

now it is my turn i guess.i never seen burn say he could not have or keep the fish just that he didnt recommend it to someone who didnt understand the needs of the fish that should go without saying for all living things.i see here personally that burn does spend alot of his valuable time here answering any questions that you and i might have.i personally for one would and will listen to his advise wether it is something i wanna hear or something i dont want to hear.Burnnspy keep up the great job i appreciate the help man....sarg

mithrax

Plato, you must have a croc skin and no brain to oxygenate. The original question was asking for a compatibility. Go back and read. The answer is simple yes or no. The answer was unsolicited, underestimating and insulting. Grow some brain.
[ June 08, 2001: Message edited by: Mithrax ]

salttrigger

thanks Mithrax.
And yes the post also says that its a established tank with life rock and a deep sand bed.itsnt it what amphipods/copepods need to grow in a ESTABLISHED TANK!!!!!!
And I said that this two will be with a tomato clown.
[ June 08, 2001: Message edited by: SALTTRIGGER ]

lionfish

LionFish says.......
Well, this post is long enough and has some good (and negative) posts. Ya see, I had to jump in and say something 'cause this is becoming a little off-topic. Listen SALTTRIGGER AND MITHRAX, Burn was only trying to steer you guys the right way. You act like he was telling you how you can and can't keep your tanks which is totally wrong. He was considerate enough to think that maybe you guys didn't know how to keep a Manderine alive and well. I would have said the same thing to you. Sure, the post was about compatability but you must realise these fish aren't easy to keep. A lot of people who get in this hobby think after a year or two that they are hot shots at the hobby. I've been in the hobby for 27 years and I know that a lot of people buy these hard-to-keep fish, thinking they can do everything. Trust me, Burn was trying to help, not ruin your little dreams of a perfect tank.