Mandarin Goby help

cdn_beaver

The wife and I got a mandarin Goby this afternoon from our LFS. He was acclimated for about an hour, and seemed to be doing well. We left the house for afew hours, and have come back to see that he is now laying on the bottom of the tank with little colour and breathing slowly. He is moving around alittle aswell. Is this a natural reaction to the stress of a new tank? Earlier, when he would wander to the other end of the tank, my Tomato clown would harrass him abit, but his fins seem to be alright, and dont look frayed or chewed on.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. :help:

cdn_beaver

My tank has been set up approx 6 months, and is a 25 gallon. I have 30 lbs fiji of rock, and many pods.
My tank Parameters are:
SG - 1.024
Temp - 80
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10
PH - 8.1
Calcium - 420
Phosphate - 0.5
Other tank mates include:
Tomato clown
Pepermint shrimp
Marble Sea star
4 turbo snails
2 blue legged hermits
Thanks for any and all help

chilidog

First of all a 25 gal tanc is way to small for him even thogh it is a small fish.Second he needs at least 100 pounds of LR.And third...You should wait at least 7 months before even atemting to keep such a delicate fish.Also You need a refugium if you want your pod population to last long.I think the problem is that he is starving to death.I would bring him back to the pet store and get something like a watchman goby.

shnabbles

Do you think in just a few hours time he could be starving to death already?
LFS by us has like 15 Mandarins in a tank for sale with no LR at all... i wonder what they feed them.

sw65galma

Originally posted by Shnabbles
Do you think in just a few hours time he could be starving to death already?
LFS by us has like 15 Mandarins in a tank for sale with no LR at all... i wonder what they feed them.

They don't feed them...they've started startving a long time ago.
Some LFS are better prepared to sell mandarins better than others..Yours doesn't seam to be setup for them.
When you go back to the LFS, ask them what the MAIN PRIMARY SOURCE of food for a Mandarin is?
If they say anything besides PODS, then don't listen to anythign they saiy again.

cdn_beaver

Thank you to everyone for all the help. Today he is good as new looking very active, and his colours couldnt be better.
The LFS has had him for about a month, and has successfully been hand feeding mysis shrimp, and blood worms mixed with garlic gaurd. He takes to them quite well, and is rather plump.
Below is a pic, and you tell me if he looks healthy.

lovethesea

he looks good.. BUT I am concerned about the proper nutrition for him. As stated you need at the minimum of 100# LR to sustain this guy. This amount is needed to keep the pod population replenished. The other things is is eating is OK, but the pods are where he gets his nutrtion. :)
Watch for him thinning out.

cdn_beaver

Thanks again for the help and concern, and we will surly do what we can to keep him healthy. We will definitely keep an eye on his size to make sure he doesnt thin out. A fuge is also in the works, and should be done shortly which should help alittle. Also, my tank has a good size pile of small live rock, which I have been told will be beneficial for the pods because of the small spaces predators cannot get to them. I hope this will help to sustain the pods alittle longer.

C

crm13

I have a friend that has one of those guys in a nano tank that he has had for quite some time. What he did to sustain his pod population when he added the refugium to the main tank was every once in a while, switch out some pieces of live rock with pieces that are in the fuge. I thought that was a good idea that may help you to keep your new friend healthy. :)

jlem

Originally posted by cdn_beaver
The LFS has had him for about a month, and has successfully been hand feeding mysis shrimp, and blood worms mixed with garlic gaurd. He takes to them quite well, and is rather plump.

If he is eating the mysis and blood worms then he should be fine and won't need to be dependent on the pod population. The Garlic is a great thing to feed your fish. Just keep him plump with the prepared food and enjoy

C

crm13

I was actually checking out the tank tonight; and for the first time since I have had him, I saw my "Bullseye Guy" chasing one around the sand bed... now that's comedy.:yes:

jlem

Originally posted by lovethesea
pods do provide the nutritional value needed for mandrins

A mixture of natural frozen foods will supply just as much nutrients as the natural fare will.