Mandarin owners poll

mary

We get confused because they are under Gobies in all the indexes I have seen. I did know they are Dragonettes. Have to search the comments I have made because I never though I had referred to tham as gobies or blennies. I have both ib my tank, But the Dragonettes are very different from the others. Good to be correct.

mary

Actually, they are all unique from one another in appearance and often diet. Love them all. I am curious, point me in the direcction of where I am mislead? I know the difference. I am going to Google!

mary

Well, Seems they are a sub-order unto themselves. Click onto Google and then onto "MandDisFAQS." Seems I have been calling my green spotted one a" psychedelic", and I am wrong. It is the blue one that is considered that one. Makes sense since the blue one looks Psychedelic. Very interesting site!! Have to go back and read more! If you want to know more about them and see some fine pics, you will find it there. :thinking:

90reefkepr

I have 2 green mandarins 1 male and 1 female they hang out together but they are getting very thin. can any one suggest something to me because he doesnt eat anything i put in for him( freeze dried blood worms, freeze dried red grubs, and frozen mysid shrimp). they do pick off the rock and they do that whole steam out of the gills cycle but they are still thin.
I did order live mysid shrimp from a website (which i will give to someone if they ask) and they should be coming on wednesday. will that be good for them.
Does anyone have suggestions for me?

mary

Please check out Google and click onto "MandDisFaqs". That is a factual sight to visit and has all the info on Mandarins in a bit more than a nutshell! Your two Mandarins must have a ton of live rock and a very mature tank to survive. They are starving. You absolutely can not feed them manually. They only survive off the small crustaceans , copepods, various live foods that live in the rock and on the sand and in the sand. Very mature tanks are the only tanks that they will sirvive in and then only with at the minimun 100 Lbs. Of mature rock. Maybe you have a friend whpo has a large mature tank? I have heard of smaller tanks giving suffuicient food but that is very rare contrary to what some believe.
Who sold them to you?

zyrus

Guys what Motohead and NM reef are posting isnt a
"Green Mandarin" its a "Synchiropus picturatus" or
"Spotted Mandarin."
:)

jtutton

I have the psychedelic blue mandarin as well. Mine was also a resucue buy. I am creating a sump to raise more pods for him. I do have a 46 with about 55# LR. He's been there about 2 weeks now and looks a little plumper than when I got him. He's all over the tank. I added some algae to help grow pods before I did my sump.
Mandarins can be taught (sometimes) to take frozen or pellet food. There's a site melev's reef that has a cool video called the mandarin diner. He has 3 mandarins (they were in a 55) and they all took pellet food but the other fish were taking it. He put an olive jar in the tank, puts the pellets in there and the mandarins go in and eat undisturbed. Pretty funny to see the tangs pecking at the jar.
I'm going to try and get mine to eat frozen or pellet food. He wasn't interested in live, vitamin enriched brine, but maybe with time. Heck I watched the shrimp swimming by his little face and he never went after one.