Mandarin question

fishieness

mandarin are peaccefull fish. Pretty much anything i think is okay. Just as long as they wont eat it.. Id go with other peacefull fish. I would not do a hawkfish though because they will also eat the copepods and your mandarin wont have enough to survive unless you have a butt-load
correct me if im wrong please someone

aquaman

if you are putting the mandarin in a 30 gal it is destined to die. There will NOT be enough pos for it to live on! Please reconsider the mandarin, and if you already have one take it back or give it to someone with a large VERY established tank!

T

tizzo

Aquaman is right. It is highly likely that it would starve.
I bought a female, when I returned to get a male to pair up with it, the LFS guy nearly jumped over the counter expressing his point. I have 180 pounds of live rock and my tanks been established for a couple of years yet he said I STILL didn't have enough LR for 2. Never had a LFS guy talk me OUT of buying something, so I heeded his advice and my girl will stay lonely. Til I get a fuge anyway.:joy:

reeflower

I have not gotten one, but i am glad you let me know about the tank size problem. It is my dream fish but i guess it would have to wait. I purchased a clown instead (few mins ago) and a few inverts. Someday with a bigger tank maybe a mandarin will be possible. I was reading about the amount of pods needed and (though i have many in my tank) I don't feel it would bee enough to keep a mandarin for a long period of time. Thank you for the advice!:happyfish

aquaman

Reeflower good choice. I have had to let a few dream fish go as well, at least for now. But it is good to want things we cannot have at times. It teaches us patience, and gives us something to look forward to. I cannot wait for the day that My house in TX will sell, so I can buy a house her in IL and set all my tanks back up again…some day.

lexus9903

Reeflower,
The Marine Aquarium Annual magazine had a good article on mandarin fish. Would be worth it to get it and read up on it so then you can plan your next larger tank around your "dream fish" and know that you did it right from the start. Also, kudos for passing up the fish! They are beautiful (I'm still having to tie my husbands hands at the fish store because he wants one so badly for our 55 reef and its just not ready yet!)
Also, later on if you are really interested in getting into these fish, there are sites where you can buy copopods, and raise them so you have a supply for your mandarins. I haven't ever tried it, but supposedly there easy to raise in these little like $30 kits they sell for them. Just an idea!
Lexi:happyfish

reeflower

Thanks for the advice...I beleive I saw that magazine at my dealer's shop. (It had a large pic pf a mandarin on the cover) Of course I got whiplash noticing it...haha. But I'm gonna pick it up and stash it away for future reference.