Mandarin questions...

tangy1

Hi,
I was just wondering how you go about quarantining a mandarin. What I mean is, how do you feed him while he's waiting to go into the main tank? Also, I read an article on a different forum saying that they can't get ich, because of mucous on their skin or something. Is that true? And finally, are they prone to any illnesses? I only read about them starving, never about them getting sick. Thanks, and sorry for the long post.

oyam1

is fish at LFS?
see if they can keep it for a bit.
if it seems helthy, qt at home for few days, and see if it will eat fz. shrimp (some do). it should go for week with out starving.
i put my MG in my show after 3 days.
ask others.
its a good question.

nflnutswif

I love my Mandarine! He's been with us for almost a year and doing great! I watched him at the lfs closely before I purchased him, did a drip acclimation and popped him in the tank. We've (knock on wood) never had any outbreaks or fish die!
Good Luck

wid

I got the same situation. and some recommended frozen cyclop-eeze, but mine seems to be not interested too. will see in few more days.
Wid

tangy1

Well, I just read a post in the Fish Discussion forum where someone said not to qt a mandarin, because they have a poisonous slime coat...sounds like good advice to me.