Mandarin & Scooter Blenny

I have a Scotter Blenny right now, and would like to add a psychidelic Mandarin. Will they fight? I have enough copepods so I dont have to worry about that. I have a 33 Gallon tank

texasmetal

They won't fight, but one will out-compete the other for food in that small of a tank. Unless maybe you have a ginormous refugium plumbed in.
General rule of thumb is that a Mandarin needs about 100lbs of liverock to graze on. You might get lucky and find one that actually eats frozen mysis though.

My Scooter Blenny eats frozen mysis shrimp. I shoot it at him with a turkey baster. He see's the baster coming and swins right to it. Smart lil guy!

spiderwoman

You will run out of copepods in a 33g tank very quickly with both fish feeding on them. Just the Mandarin by itself will exhaust the copepod population if you don't have a massive amount of LR and a refugium for reproduction.

texasmetal

Originally Posted by Floating Paper
http:///forum/post/2702854
My Scooter Blenny eats frozen mysis shrimp. I shoot it at him with a turkey baster. He see's the baster coming and swins right to it. Smart lil guy!
Yeah Scooters don't seem to be nearly as finicky as Mandarins.

oceanlover

I have both a scooter blenny and a mandarin in my 90 gallon tank. However, it is a well established tank and I have an enormus refugium packed to the bursting point with copepods. The scopter eats lots of different foods and enjoys moving around a lot. The mandarin is more attracted to the copepods and must have a plentiful supply as she is getting quite porky!
I also supplement feed with various things like brine shrimp (only once in a while as it isn't real nutricious), arctipods, etc.

puffer32

I had a mandrin and scooter together in my 150. I had to remove the scooter (easiest one to catch) because the mandarin attacked her every time she saw the scooter to the point the scooter stayed hidden and stopped hunting food. They are both females so i dont know why the mandrin attacked the scooter.

texasmetal

Originally Posted by puffer32
http:///forum/post/2703097
I had a mandrin and scooter together in my 150. I had to remove the scooter (easiest one to catch) because the mandarin attacked her every time she saw the scooter to the point the scooter stayed hidden and stopped hunting food. They are both females so i dont know why the mandrin attacked the scooter.
That's weird. Ours get along fine in a 140.
Maybe it's the similar appearance issue like most other fish.

puffer32

Originally Posted by TexasMetal
http:///forum/post/2703109
That's weird. Ours get along fine in a 140.
Maybe it's the similar appearance issue like most other fish.
Yeah, i never expected this to happen, but it did. The mandrin would chase the scooter and if she wasn't fast enough, the mandarin actually bit into her and the scooter would shake herself loose. Most of the time the scooter out swam the scooter, but it was becoming a probem for her to hunt for pods out in the open.

nycbob

i hv a mandarin and scooter in my 72. they dont pay attention to each other at all. they r always busy looking for food.