Mandarin stuck in corner overflow

sh2000

So I have a question I have been meaning to ask for a while but forgot...about a few weeks ago My Mandarin was stuck in the corner overflow in my 120 Perfecto tank .. I happend to get lucky and notice him swimming in there fine. My question is how did he get in there ? and what would have happend if I did not net him out and put him in my DT would he have starved are there pods in the corner overflow section ? I'm glad I saw him there...sometimes I see snails or hermit crabs in there but they find their way in and out I doubt the mandarin would have gotten out if I did not net him and put him back in the DT. Has anyone had this happen to them ?

L

lsu

How many tanks do you/have? It seems that every time you ask a question your tank is quite different.

sh2000

now if anyone else has an answer to the original question that would be nice...and whoever would like to see pics of all my tanks and setups pm me most of them you can find on past threads.

littlebuck

Take a white piece of plexi glass normally you can find them on old wetdrys or something like that.
then once u have it cut it down to size and stick it on the top of ur overflow.
One will stop them from jumping in there and 2nd will cut down on the light that goes in to the overflow and if its white it will reflect the light back to ur lights and back in the tank. Also will cut down on any algae that will end up growing in ur overflows as well.
Hope this helps but they can jump..

sh2000

I have some green algae in the corner over flow i can simply clean it with a magnet or my hand or with anything why is it bad to have some green algae on the glass in the overflow section this is a perfecto 120 with a corner overflow pre drilled. and reef ready.

sh2000

anyone ? also I found the mandarin again in the corner overflow this is the second time so either he goes in and out alot more often than I relize or it was 2 odd situations. I just did a test on the levels
Temp-80F
Ammonia-8.2
Sal-1.025
PH-8.2
ALK-10 DKH
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0.2
Nitrate-2.5
Calcium-400
Mag-1300
Phosphates-less than 0.5

m0nk

Littlebuck had a good idea with adding the plexi-glass over the overflow(s). I have egg crate over mine to keep things out; I use egg crate everywhere tho.

sh2000

would that look nice ? also if a fish or a mandarin is in the corner overflow can he survive is ther food that goes in there ? its a corner thats about 10 gallons

masta man

I used to have a mandarin and a hawkfish, and they both got stuck back there and died after 2 months. I tried to get them out but it was nearly imposible (Box with holes in it for my overflow). good luck and get him out.

Take every thing out of the back and use a small net. keep trying. it is not fun losing a fish to starvation because it is stuck in an overflow box

sh2000

its a corner overflow in an perfecto tank i use a small net but have to remove the light and get all the way down there my tank is 34" deep or so...its hard the question is if they get in how do they get out or could they get out without aid ? I hame a flame hawkfish and a mandarin..so far only saw the mandarin in there 2x next time I see him in I'll wait a few hours to see what happends..can he be sucked in by the pvc and drained into the wet/dry ? or would he have the stregnth to swim awy from the suction ?

clownfish11

how long should i wait(im getting my live rock for an established 75gallon) would that have anything do to with the length of time i should wait?

hocky

I've never had my mandarin jump into my overfow, but my royal gramma ended up in there once. What a PITA it was to net him out.
And theoretically, the mandarin could probably survive for a while in there if you tank is running well. My overflows are always full of pods.