Mandarin thread

dennis26

The question is ... are there people out there keeping any kind of mandarin in a small tanks (20-25g and up)? what did it take to acomplish
thanx for all the input

cdn_beaver

Like I had mentioned in an earlier thread, I have heard that they can be hand fed live brine shrimp. Can anybody confirm this? Will Brine shrimp sustain a mandarin, or will they be lacking vitamins, ect. and starve? I am also interested in a mandarin for my 25 gallon tank some day.

sw65galma

Originally posted by Dennis26
The question is ... are there people out there keeping any kind of mandarin in a small tanks (20-25g and up)? what did it take to acomplish
thanx for all the input

I have 1 in my Nano Reef 15gal.
The tank is almost completely full of LR and about 30lbs of Arga-alive.
I usually dose with Plankton for the pods and the feather dusters.
So far so Good. I had so many pods I couldn't see through the glass.
But since the introduction of the Mandarin, the pods have since dissappeared. So I'm trying to keep the pods up until my 300 is done, and it's 65gal fuge, which should produce more than enough pods.
I'm hoping he's gonna make it.
But If I were you, I wouldn't try.. Unless you get a Hang on the back fuge..

sw65galma

Originally posted by chriscobb
I agree with sw65galma. They need lots of pods, and don't do well with flake or other foods, but they can be taught through time to take it

And not everyone can be "taught" and there is no way of telling weather or not it will be able to be taught.
Unless you could find someone willing to part with one that is already taught.
I tried Hatching Brine shrimp as well, I don't think it did much though.

daveb

My Mandariin loves Mysis Shrimp... he started eating them the third time I fed the tank with them... I was absolutely amazed as I watched him. He won't eat them unless they settle on some rock, but when I feed the tank the Mysis, he finds any that settle and sucks them right up.....
Dave

dennis26

my tank has been up and running about six months now. I think the only way i'd get a mandarin any time soon is if it was already used to different types of food but i guess im not gettin one for a while now. i think i have about 40lbs of LR in now
thanx for all the input guys
keep it comming

C

crm13

Mandarins are really cool fish. The only problem that I could see you having in keeping one in the long run is that you wouldn't be able to really put enough live rock into a tank that size to sustain an adequate food supply level for a long time to come unless you really wait it out and let the tank mature. Even yet, I think that your mandarin may deplete your pod population kinda quick, even if it does learn to take food that you offer. I think the pods are really his main diet, and when they are healthy, they eat a lot (pretty much all day)!! I think the general rule of thumb for keeping mandarins is at least a 100 lbs. of live rock in a relatively mature tank. But, I have heard of people having success in keeping them in smaller tanks with less than that, still a mature setup, though. And the refugium mentioned above is a great idea! Also, I think the aggression level and territorial nature of even the more peaceful fish will increase with smaller tank sizes. Mandarins are very shy and kinda move around the tank like old people on a Sunday drive, so you may have problems if you add anything to the tank kinda shaped like it is, or anything with a somewhat aggressive encroachment. Don't want to sound negative about it, but, they are really cool and easy to get attached to, and I would hate for you to go through a bad experience with one. But, if you keep this in mind, you could give it a shot, and it may do very well. I hope it does. :)

dennis26

Thank you CRM13 for all that information. What would u consider a mature tank? how long should it be set up for? Is there any other fish feeding on pods that would compete with the mandarin .:sleepy:

sw65galma

Originally posted by Dennis26
Thank you CRM13 for all that information. What would u consider a mature tank? how long should it be set up for? Is there any other fish feeding on pods that would compete with the mandarin .:sleepy:

Dennis if you really want a Manderin, then just get a Hang on the back fuge...You should be good...
And dose with some live plankton every once and a while to feed the pods..

C

crm13

I agree, the fuge is a great idea. I went to see a friend, today, that keeps one in his nano. It's attached to a 30 gallon refugium. I would just do the biggest refugium you could fit or afford to set up. What he does, which I thought was a good idea as well, is switch out some of the live rock in his refugium with pieces from his nano from time to time and it works great for him. He's had his for over two years. I think he said just before summer of 2002 he aquired it. As far as mature tank, the longer the better, but I got mine when I noticed my pod population in the tank explode. They were all over the place when I looked in the tank after the lights went out, especially on the glass wall with a lot of algae. I'd say look for that and that would be a good indication your tank has a decent supply. Timewise, I don't know.... I'd say at least six months. I guess it depends on how much rock and sand you have (the more, the better the boost). I'm impatient and I think I waited about 4 months, but like I said, I felt the pod population was pretty good. Also, pods are a food supply for many types of fish, and inverts. Just research any of the fish your interested in getting before you pick them up and you should be okay as long as they are compatible. Like I mentioned earlier, you could only keep one of those, unless it was a male and female. Then your chances would be better (although, still not a sure shot). And some blennies and gobies may be a problem. It's kinda hit or miss. My friend had one that his algae blenny chased around the tank (that's how it got to end up in the nano) My algae blenny doesn't bother mine at all. Good luck. HTH.

newty

my 0.02 here: feed them blackworms (Lumbriculus variegatus). here at the research facility, we feed salamanders, frogs, zebrafish and other carnivorous aquatic species blackworms, as they have one of the highest nutritional value of live foods out there. they are easy to propagate, maintain and harvest for feeding. that being said, my friend has a mandarin, and feeds it nothing but blackworms in his 20 gallon hex. he feeds it 3 times a day and it devours the worms.
similarily, i feed my system blackworms whenever i can get them from workm and my tank inhabitants love it, especially my LTA.
so, perhaps try those out.
newty.

sw65galma

Originally posted by newty
my 0.02 here: feed them blackworms (Lumbriculus variegatus). here at the research facility, we feed salamanders, frogs, zebrafish and other carnivorous aquatic species blackworms, as they have one of the highest nutritional value of live foods out there. they are easy to propagate, maintain and harvest for feeding. that being said, my friend has a mandarin, and feeds it nothing but blackworms in his 20 gallon hex. he feeds it 3 times a day and it devours the worms.
similarily, i feed my system blackworms whenever i can get them from workm and my tank inhabitants love it, especially my LTA.
so, perhaps try those out.
newty.

Ya can someone find a source for live Blackworms so I can grow them?
And Email me at sw65galma@yahoo.com
Thanks,

newty

we get them shipped from a supplier in california. i think that there is only one vendor that raises and sells blackworms at the moment. there used to be more than one, but they have folded. i cannot remember the vendor name off the top of my head (our animal care technician will know it, though), but i believe that if you google blackworms or the latin name, you may find the vendor.
in response to the live or frozen, they are live. i have never frozen them, and i think it is best, to feed them live blackworms. the fishes, corals, and anenomes absolutely love the wriggling worms. there is also little risk of parasites since they are freshwater worms. they do survive for a while in the saltwater conditions, but i have never seen any stop moving. maybe it is because they are so rapidly consumed!
newty.

dennis26

Thanx Newty for the info.Nice pics .This is the coolest looking fish i think.
Keep it comming you all.

Any more cool looking pics of mandarin

C

crm13

I just wanted to mention real quick but interestingly enough, there is a bit on this subject in the new Aquarium Fish Magazine. Just thought I'd share that if you want to check it out.