Mandarin won't come out and play?!?! Someone help

mixtimp

75 gallon tank
100+ LR
80 LS
410 VHO lighting
Tank has been set up for over a year
So I bought a beautiful mandarin yesterday from the LFS. He/She is extremely plump, and about 3 inches long (i.e. not a small mandarin). I acclimated her for about an hour and a half, then introduced her to the tank. I only had 3 fish in the tank for about a year. A maroon clown, black/white striped Damsel, and a blenny.
The mandarin is hiding in the corner behind some liverock. She won't move from that corner at all. All day yesterday, all night, and all day today, she just stays there. Is this normal?

sjgsm

hows its breathing look? I got one two days ago... for the first hour or so she hung out in a crevice and took a breath about every second.... i decided she was probably alittle stressed and just kept a close eye on her.... after alittle while she started fluttering around the back nipping at my rocks... i acclimated mine about as long as yours... I have 2 clown fish in my tank that kinda checked her out alittle but showed no agression towards her... today she is coming to the front every once and a while but if she sees me she will tend to go to the back... mine is fine but just alittle shy... These fish are very easily stressed so just keep an eye on it for a while.

renogaw

you put a peaceful, shy fish in with a maroon and a damsel. if i were the fish i'd be hiding as well.

mixtimp

Reno, I must have gotten flukes, because neither my maroon or the damsel are agressive in the least. They almost school together, never nip at the blenny, or at any other of their invertibre tank mates.
The breathing looks good on the mandarin. She is doing exactly what you said. Nipping on the rocks, fluttering stuff through her gills, but she is still hanging out in the back corner. She was very active and swam around in the fish store. I'm a little worried.

sjgsm

if it hasn't been harassed then its not a problem... I've notice that fish tend to leave them alone...but if you've seen yours being harassed then that would be your problem

mixtimp

None of the fish have even acknowledged his presence. The blenny just went over there and was chillen on the rocks in his general area, but they don't even seem to notice him.
THe mandarin has been poking its head out above the rocks a little more frequently now. I think its deciding if it should make a move and check out the rest of the tank. Hopefully it does.

sjgsm

yeah it sounds like it is settling in... should be alright just make sure you always have a pod population as you will get flamed by 95% of these forums. good luck with yours we should keep in touch since we got ours at the same time lol

renogaw

good deal on the damsel/clown then. personally i'd love some damsels and most likely will hav ethem in as the last fish.
the mandarin is truly a shy fish, so just give it time, and some little sweet morsels to try to get it to come out.

C

cadillac swang

Originally Posted by renogaw
you put a peaceful, shy fish in with a maroon and a damsel. if i were the fish i'd be hiding as well.
wow what problems have you had, i have a goby in my tank with a 2 chromis damsels (too hard to remove) and a yellow tang, and a purple lobster, everybody gets along "yes a reef"
i did loose some fish two months ago, a maroon clown, and a blenny, i thought it was the lobster until my anenome was gone. "clouded the water" but no crash. then it dawned on me it was the powerhead that had the open bottom, that was the bully, so now its in my 60 gallon fish tank playing with the 12" cichlids