Mandarin

ma

This is also in fish discussion, but maybe i thouh i could get better answers. I know all about the warnings of keeping mandarinfish, but despite all the things I have heard I really want to try one. I have a few questions though before i consider it. I know mandarins need large established tanks with a fuge, but I was just wondering. I have a 14 gallon biocube. If I could make it into a fuge/reef with cheato algae and calerpa algae and as much rock as possibe could I keep a madarin in it. I would make sure the tank is established. I would also add copods and live brine mabye once or twice a week. The mandarin would be the only fish in the tank. Right now there is a royal grammah in the tank that I will be moving to my 75 or 90, not sure. The tank is also growing crazy with feather calurpa. Could this be done?
Also is it cant be done this way could i breed the pods and if i do how often and how many should I add?

hot883

Is it possible in a nano; Yes. Will many have luck doing that; NO! There is a video or picture I have seen where a guy uses a coke bottle or something similar to produce pods for mandarin in a small tank. Definately not for the timid or nano for sure.
I say this because I had a 55 gallon with 175lbs of live rock. I waited 6 months or so because thats what I was told to do. I did. And now 1 year later with a 125 gallon and 300 lbs. of live rock, I find my mandarin starving. I add pods to the display all the time via chaeto. I have now put him in my refugium where there are literally 1 million pods in there. I will see if he fattens up. Barry

ma

I plan on the tank being like a fuge so there will be enough pods, also i plan on adding pods often. I tought it might be cool to have a mandarin in my room

bruder

I think Barry's point was that even in his large tank and now his fuge that has tons of pods, his mandarin still struggles, so it will be difficult to do.

ma

i decided to replace the madarin with a yellow clown goby and make my biocube a reef
just a question can a green and yellow clown goby love together in a 14 gal