Mandarin : (

life~reefer

The other day I was looking in the tank at 2:30AM. I thought my mandarin was dead because he was lying there without moving at all. My cleaner shrimp then began to clean not pick the mandarin and then I began to literally pound the glass to stop it. I then reached in the tank and shooed the cleaner. I moved the mandarin to the other side of the tank in front and left him their. I then stared at him till 3:30AM waiting for him to "come back" because I could see his eyes moving and looking at me. I was wondering what could possibly have killed him. He was very very fat so I doubt he starved because my tank is 8 months old. I then thought it was his tank mates(midas and clown) because they seemed to be aggressive the first few days. I then thought even though this fish is beautiful I should flush it to make sure it does not pollute the tank and I would not be able to stand a shrimp ripping it to pieces. So I thought I should finally give in because I had been there an hour even though I could see its eyes still slightly moving. So down the sewer it went. After hating the other fish I read today that mandarins can appear to be dead at night to fool predators and nothing will want to eat them because of their terrible flavored smile coat. I am starting to think this is the case because I read this on five other forums. I feel like a murderer. Can this really happen? This is obviously my favorite fish in the tank.
{Time in tank: 1 week}

life~reefer

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3077133
Even though it's eyes were moving you flushed it down the toilet? Am I reading that right?
I wasn't sure if I was tricking myself it was 3:30AM. If I was positive it was sill moving its eyes it would never had made it to the washroom. : (

kelly

At night mandarins are know to loose some of their color and look pretty much dead. The ones that I have had in the past always looked that way in the morning. It is very possible you killed it.

cranberry

I have had mine give me many heart attacks over the years. But he would not sit still all the way to the John to be flushed if he was alive or at least healthy.

S

shrimpy brains

Very sorry!
All I can say is, patience is the key. Next time, go to sleep and see what happens in the a.m. when lights are on. A possible water change to offset any spikes due to a death would give me more piece of mind then questioning whether I killed something that wasn't dead.
Very unfortunate either way. You can't go back and change it. Do yourself a 4th of July favor and go get another one to make yourself feel better.

T

tizzo

Thank god we all don't have your "reflexes".. If so, my starry blenny would have been gone long ago since my cleaner takes full advantage of a sleeping fish and a free meal.

life~reefer

I feel like a murderer.
I just didn't want to see my shrimp ripping it apart. Wish I could go back and change it all.

flower

Originally Posted by Life~Reefer
http:///forum/post/3077288
I feel like a murderer.
I just didn't want to see my shrimp ripping it apart. Wish I could go back and change it all.
Not possible...chalk it up t a lesson learned. Saltwater critters can play sick and dead all the time, so never give up.
Also, nature is nature. A CUC should do its job without your interference. You have to learn to let things do what they are programmed by nature to do.
As a child I watched the nature shows and always wanted the camera man to save the impala, but then the lion would starve.
So cry a little, and then go get youself another one. If he was fat and not starving you were doing something right.

life~reefer

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3077327
Not possible...chalk it up t a lesson learned. Saltwater critters can play sick and dead all the time, so never give up.
Also, nature is nature. A CUC should do its job without your interference. You have to learn to let things do what they are programmed by nature to do.
As a child I watched the nature shows and always wanted the camera man to save the impala, but then the lion would starve.
So cry a little, and then go get youself another one. If he was fat and not starving you were doing something right.
Yes, I am very glad I learned this so I would not keeping buying and them dying(even though I would never keep buying them if they kept dying). I am glad to learn something new just upset as she was my favorite fish. Happy 4th everyone and enjoy the day. Now back out to the beach.

coral keeper

Several fish can appear dead when they really aren't. Looks like u flushed him while it was still alive. Not trying sound harsh, I'm just sayin'. Next time leave it in the tank even if it looks dead.

mr.clownfish

and u know that cleaner shrimp clean fish. they pick the parasites off of the fish. my lawnmower blenny always goes to my cleaner shrimps "cleaning station" and kinda tilts to the side and my cleaners jump on top of him and start cleaning him all over even in his gills and mouth.
i am so sorry for ur loss.

life~reefer

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
http:///forum/post/3077443
Several fish can appear dead when they really aren't. Looks like u flushed him while it was still alive. Not trying sound harsh, I'm just sayin'. Next time leave it in the tank even if it looks dead.
Yeah, it really stinks but, at least we know they are good acters.

life~reefer

Originally Posted by Mr.clownfish
http:///forum/post/3077495
and u know that cleaner shrimp clean fish. they pick the parasites off of the fish. my lawnmower blenny always goes to my cleaner shrimps "cleaning station" and kinda tilts to the side and my cleaners jump on top of him and start cleaning him all over even in his gills and mouth.
i am so sorry for ur loss.
I am sorry but, I don't know why you said that. ?

detane

yup, you killed it. I have 2 in my tank and they both turn pale in color and look near dead at night. I once almost did the same thing you did. Bu then the it got its color back and swam away before I got to it.

cranberry

We can't say for sure he flushed it live. Yes they turn pale at night, but they also turn pale when dead. He would have woke up at some point IMO and the OP would have noticed some movement on the roadtrip to the bathroom. The first time I saw mine do that, I got a kabob stick and tapped it.... it swam away. I think theirs was dead or it would have fought at least a little at being manipulated.

woody189

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3078465
We can't say for sure he flushed it live. Yes they turn pale at night, but they also turn pale when dead. He would have woke up at some point IMO and the OP would have noticed some movement on the roadtrip to the bathroom. The first time I saw mine do that, I got a kabob stick and tapped it.... it swam away. I think theirs was dead or it would have fought at least a little at being manipulated.
Yea, I would think it would wake up and flop around when it's in a net outside of water (idk if that's how it was removed though).
But, then again, I've taken fish out and had them stay perfectly still in the net, so maybe not.
Whatever happened, happened. You had the best intentions, so don't beat yourself up for it. You didn't want the shrimp to pick at it (even though that's it's job). It happens.
Get a new one if you want. Next time, turn the lights on see if it wakes up. And at the very least, wait a day if you're even a little unsure. It's not a big deal to have it die in the tank, as long as you have a decent CUC. You ahve a decent sized tank anyway, so it really shouldn't cause a spike.
Sorry.

cranberry

But we can't exactly say "Yup, you killed it." What's done is done and what's learned is learned. But being optimistic may make someone feel a little better.