mangrove filtration

lineman1

i have been doing some research on setting up a mangrove tank to help with filtration. was wondering if anyone is using this method on there tank.

coraljunky

I want to try it first on my 90g, in my refugium. If it works out well, I'll use it on my frag tanks too.

sign guy

my bro in law tried it and he came to a very real conclusion.......there trees if you can keep them feed with enough light and mag you still have trees and they get big kinda fast. youd need an open show tank to say the least

sign guy

Originally Posted by dksart
Can they be pruned down to keep them shorter?
you can to some extent but at the end of the day what do you gain over chato

kayak385

I have both micro and mangroves. I have 5-7 large mangroves in my Mega Flow Model 3 sump with a 24/7 light on them. I mostly use them to keep my refugium from looking like a micro algae tank. They are great as visual distractions.

zdthompson

The Hawiian Red Mangrove propagule is both a freshwater and marine plant that can be used as a natural method of filtration and means of Natural Nitrate Reduction in either saltwater or freshwater aquariums. These Mangrove Sprouts have been taken directly off the tree, therefore they can be placed in either Saltwater or Freshwater.
Excellent addition for Water Quality Management: Mangroves absorb nutrients from the water in order to grow, and help lower nitrates and phosphates in the aquarium. The use of mangroves plants for filtration in a saltwater aquarium, particularly for helping to reduce and control nitrates is not a new concept.However, this is changing because more and more aquarists are looking for a "natural" method of filtration for their aquariums, so mangroves are drawing lots of attention. Mangroves not only have the ability to absorb nitrates, but phosphates and other organics as well. In fact, they remove organics so well from the water that they act as a replacement for a protein skimmer. When using mangroves you will notice your protein skimmer working less and less all the time. The more the mangroves grow and mature, the more they absorb the excess organics in your water, and the skimmer has nothing to remove and becomes obsolete. If you are a naturalist and don't want to have to use chemical additives or compounds to reduce and control nitrates in your aquarium, this is a very effective filtration method to consider. Last note, It is important for nutrient control in the aquarium, that when leaves are dropped from the plant that they are not allowed to decay in the aquarium.
How do I plant Mangroves? The mangrove propagule can be planted in an open topped aquarium, illuminated sump, or refugium. When adding a mangrove propagule to your aquarium, you can plant it directly in the sand or gravel, use a rubber band or tie to attach it to the top of rocks or driftwood, or allow it to take root in the water with no substrate. The roots will quickly take hold in either a sand substrate or in live rock. When planting a mangrove propagule, be sure the growth tip are out of the water. If you have a canopy over your aquarium, simply plant the tuber towards the back of the aquarium, so it will eventually grow through the area where the plumbing is located.
Shipping Notes: Hawiian Red Mangrove sprout are shipped Dry. They do best that way. When received, we have found that exposure to less light for the first few days of acclimation is better for the seed pod.