mangrove propagules

pohtr

How many is too many? I have a 90g with a 30g sump/fuge. I've heard that they can deplete magnesium. Is that so? I currently have 7 of them sprouting roots in the sand in the fuge. None have leaves yet. Haven't tried my new magnesium test kit yet (just got it), and the previous test kit was impossible!
thanks-

jonthefishguy

I have 13 of them in my 240 and the al have grown quite well. Yes they suck up magnesium so you will have to add it but they have helped keep my nitrates at zero and I feed VERY heavily.

pohtr

Is the fuge the best place for them? I have another little tank that was originally going to be the qt but has been just sitting there. The propagules in that tank are (sticking up) in the filter hanging off the back and have only room light, indirect. One of those has started sprouting leaves. How much light do they need?
thanks

pohtr

Does it matter where the mangroves are placed? I have one in the main tank (with leaves) and six in the fuge (2 with leaves) and a bunch still in the "QT".
And now many is too many? Or does it just depend on the magnesium levels ( I hate testing magnesium, calc & total alk!!.....so complicated). If I keep a bunch of them will I have to constantly check levels?
thanks