Mantis or not?????

jugger

not sure if this is a mantis.... what do you think???? i got luckey and saw him in a rock that was towards the top of the pile... had to squirt him out with a baster....

justinx

I dont think that I would put it back in the main tank either, but a species only tank, now that would be great!

Yes, its a mantis. I got several in my LR, including the three that I missed and still cant catch. Great job getting him before he got into the tank.

jugger

hes only about an inch long... and im glad i saw him darting in and out of the LR will i was feeding Live brine for the first time ever... i geuss he couldnt resist the brine...luckey for me he was in a rock that i could just take out of the tank.... anyone know what kind of mantis he is??? are all mantis bad??? the only mantis i have ever seen are the ones that are green... but iv heard of ones that

[hr]
and club things... is this one any of those??
for the ppl that have caught this same lookn one... was yours pinkish or light brouwn lookn to??
not sure what to do with him... hes still alive in a glass right now and i feed him alittle and give him fresh water
i wonder if thats why i had dead hermits in my tank and empty shells??

elitsoh

if hes going after hermits its probably a clubber....
id set up a small tank for him if i was you ...my cousins got a 6 inch mantis in a 12 gal tank ....very cool critters....

Try here and here for info and ID on mantis species, including how to care for one as a pet.
I intend on keeping my most 'personable' one in his own tank when I catch him.
-Christine

meb

I have had serious Mantis problems. I lost several nice fish. I have caught two so far but I still have a big one in there that makes a lot of noise. Get a clear water bottle 20 oz. or a 2 liter coke bottle. Cut into two pieces about a third of the way from the top or a little less. Remove any plastic ring around the top. Flip the upper half around and shove it into the cut opening. It should look like a funnel pushed inside the bottle. You need a tight fit. Separate the pieces punch some flow holes about midway up the lower half. Fill up to the flow holes with tank water, add feeder fish, black mollies are great but I caught one on grass shrimp, a small piece of shrimp or dead grass shrimp also will attract them.
Shove the top back in place . Find a nice place where you have suspicious activity or the known crime scene. Place the bottle into the sand, bury until the opening is even with the sand bed, with not much sand in the trap. Disguise it some if you can. He is not real smart, he can find his way in, but it takes him a long time to find his way out. Usually more than a day. (the mollies can get out to) Be careful, don't handle him, he can deliver a nasty blow. My local pet store owner got few stitches in his thumb.

jugger

thanks thats a very good idea.... i have heard some additional clicking noises coming from the tank....the clicking noise is very fast and repetative for only short bursts.... i think i will try the trap out..

jugger

Originally posted by zafirablanca
Try here and here for info and ID on mantis species, including how to care for one as a pet.
I intend on keeping my most 'personable' one in his own tank when I catch him.
-Christine

wow everything you wanted to know about mantis.... thats some scary stuff