Mantis or Pistol Shrimp ?

broomer5

I bought some additional live rock a few month ago, and I think I have one of these buggers in my tank. At night when lights are off I occasionally hear the snap or popping sound. I've looked and looked but so far have not seen it ... nevertheless something is in there.
I've noticed lately some little pencil diameter holes in some of the live rock, with small piles of rock dust under them in the morning. Thinking maybe that is there burrow .. but not sure.
Any ideas on how to rid my tank of these ?
Would this explain the total dissapearance of a cleaner shrimp when I was on vacation ?
Thanks,
Brian

I am very sorry Broomer, I really don't know of a remedy for those other than try to catch it, which sounds from your descrpition to be very impossible. All I know is that Mantis shrimp bad!, but I have never heard of them making a popping sounds, and I would never have guessed that a shrimp would be causing that. I learn so much here!

~~Megan

jimi

Mantis shrimp have been known to make a popping or clicking sound. They do sell traps for them.

rickt4du

Do you have turbo snails? If so, the clicking is probably them reajusting themselves in their shell. They are stuck to the glass and then they pull out. When they let go the shell snapps back against the glass. This is done quickly giving you the
"tick tick tick" sound that you hear.
...rick

broomer5

thanks everybody !
yes Rick I have about a dozen Turbo's in the 55 gal. tank. Their shells are covered with corraline of varaious colors. Here lately I have noticed that at the bottom of their shells there is a white extended portion, like they are growing new shell. At first I thought something was wrong .. but now I can see that half of them are growing new shell material for sure. I was unaware of snails making this noise.
The noise I hear is a distinct "pop" and very loud. Guess I will keep trying to learn more about it and let you all know.
Thanks for the replys !
Broomer ( Brian )

gregzilla

I'd say you have a Mantis Shrimp. A mantis shrimp found it's way into my tank. It makes clicking noises. It burrows thorugh the live rock. It eats my snails and hermit crabs. It killed my Flame Angel and my Lawnmower blenny. It's bright green and about 2 to 3 inches long now. It must have hitched in as a baby in some live rock.
I tried a trap, it didn't work. I've tried to catch it with tweezers, but it's damn fast. I got it once, but it slipped away. Next time I try, I'm going to use pliers and I can tell you right now, it's not going to be pleasant...
Do whatever you can to get rid of it unless it's the only thing you want in your tank.
Later,
Greg