Mantis shrimp unwanted...

paulyd1978

He's in a rock that I could easily remove from the tank without disturbing too much, but then what? I don't want to destroy the rock, so what can I do?

spanko

Squirt some ROCI water into the hole it is hiding in. This wiil usually cause them to come running out. Keep your fingers away from it, can give a nasty punch.

renogaw

if you're going to dunk it, dunk the whole rock in a 1.031 hypo saline solution. that way you don't kill anything off, just make it uncomfey. do you have somewhere to put the mantis?

subielover

Why would you want to put it in there? It could possiblly kill everything in the tank. Mantis should be in a species-only tank.

renogaw

depends on the mantis and how well it's fed. mine has yet to kill the 5 hermits, 2 astreas, and 30 periwinkles (sorta had hoped he'd take them out...) because i feed mine krill and silversides and other meaty stuff every cople days.

paulyd1978

Mantis shouldn't attack unless he's starving and he will go after crabs and snails first. When I notice this behavior then I'll move him.

robertmathern

you can make a trap for him kinda like how you catch bristle worms but with a bigger hole. Not sure how well it works

csmicro

How big is it?
I have captured 3 of them so far using a clear siphon hose with a large valve at the end. Although in my case if they were in a location that I could have easily remove the rock I would have tried that first.
The steps are as follows:
1.Start the siphon and the close the valve once the hose is clear of all air bubbles.
2.Push some food up the hose.
3.Move the hose in front / over the hole he is in.
4.Wait very patiently until he begins to enter the hose
5.Turn the valve and SUCK him out into a bucket or other container.
Keep your fingers clear of the hole when holding the hose. They are territorial and will most likely strike the hose. It may take several attempts.
-Ken