Mantis Shrimp?

meemmoo

It fell out of my LR just before putting it in the tank this mornin after doing some aquascaping.

shoimen

Your lucky.
that thing would have wreaked havoc in your tank...
If not smashed its way out of the tank.

meemmoo

Guess so, The sound horrible to have. I have seen that some people like them. Can I expect to see many more?

meemmoo

I saw this on the bottom of my tank. Could it be a baby Mantis. It jumped like a flea while I was trying to get a picture.

mudplayerx

Originally posted by meemmoo
I saw this on the bottom of my tank. Could it be a baby Mantis. It jumped like a flea while I was trying to get a picture.

Nope, that is a normal colonizer of live rock. They are harmless and in fact beneficial as they clean up detritus and keep the worm population in check.
If you ever see brown pupa casings floating in your water, they came from this animal when it left the larval stage.

meemmoo

Ever since I saw that Mantis Shrimp. I feel like I am paranoid anytime I look into my tank I wonder what's harmful.

T

tizzo

Cirolanid Isopod and mantis shrimps are really the onle things you should worry about seeing. There are many predator hitch-hikers but those two are the most common.

bdhough

You can set up an acrylic 1 or 2 gallon tank for the mantis. They are pretty neat to watch. I would suggest taking him to the lfs. They may try and sell him. Don't expect any money for him except from a private person....

sammiefish

Cool mantis, so tiny...I was checking out a site grimreefers.com ... some twisted individuals but there are videos of these guys in action! Very territorial and they dont like other shrimp or crayfish for sure!!

gfk

i was going to put one in my eclipse 12 but the guy at the lfs told me not to... even thoguh they have the guy in about 20 gallons and he's been in there for a long time