Mantis Shrimp

Originally Posted by renogaw
sure does look like a mantis. Which way got him out, and did you scoop him out right away? the reason they should shoot right out is the difference in salinity should tick them off, but you dont want them to stay in that high (or low) salinity water.

It doesn't tick them off, it hurts them. When their water salinity changes dramatically and they stay in it for long enough it kills them. I believe their gills are badly damaged from it.

shrimpi

Im suprised it died? Those guys are tough. They usually are very pretty, at least bright colored. Look at these.

sprang

Sorry he died...looked liked a mantis though. I wouldn't trust him in a reef set-up anyway, so I guess your better off in the long run. off the topic a bit...I had a brittle star that was a complete gentleman for about a year then noticed him munching on my soft coral. Loved feeding this ugly goon, but he had to go.

gudies

Originally Posted by sprang
Sorry he died...looked liked a mantis though. I wouldn't trust him in a reef set-up anyway, so I guess your better off in the long run. off the topic a bit...I had a brittle star that was a complete gentleman for about a year then noticed him munching on my soft coral. Loved feeding this ugly goon, but he had to go.
I also had a green brittle star in there too! I loved him, He did the same thing in my tank, had to move him over to the fish only tank and he is doing well there.
I am glad I finally found out what it was, I am sorry it had to die to do so, But feel lucky it hadn't started doing damage, I do miss it though and can't help but look for it still when I feed. Thanks everyone, I appreciate that you all really do reply and give sound advice!
Shelly