mantis shrimp

ithori

has anybody ever kept a mantis shrimp? What do I need before even begin to think about getting one? Are there any fish that can be kept with a mantis shrimp small like a damsel or big like a clown trigger? And are they really the pest many make them out to be?
Thanks

dischirm

A clown trigger just may eat the mantis and the clown/damsel just may get eaten by the mantis.
I (personally) would put a few damsels in there just for looks and for the mantis to have someething to hunt.
They are interesting, just not in your display tank.

scopus tang

IF you have one of the colored ones, they can be pretty cool. I kept a olive green one for a year just for fun; didn't have any issues with it, but I set it up in its own tank all by itself.

ithori

just something to add on, i happen to have a oceanic biocube 29 gallon running with corals and i was wondering would it be possible to keep a mantis shrimp untill it is full grown in there if i put plexi glass on the bottom and then sand and rocks on top? thanks

spiderwoman

sexyshrimp101 and Shogun have one and Crash is about to have one. You may want to do a search here for "mantis diary" and you'll get to see an awesome thread on sexyshrimp101's mantis(s).