Mantis Shrimp

I have a cycling 10 gallon saltwater tank with 12 pounds of liverock. I would like to keep a mantis shrimp in this tank, but it is a glass tank. Should I be worried?
Also, will mantis shrimp hurt corals?

omen nemzo

I just read the info on wiki and it said that they can crack the glass on tanks and they do eat corals, just from what is on wiki i would not get one in a glass tank and i would never put corals in with one

gharner

mantises dont eat corals and they are reef safe. they may eat fish and other inverts but not coral. in a ten gallon you could comfortably house a smaller species and you wouldnt have to worry about the glass breaking. only larger species even have the capability to break glass. with corals they may move them around where they want though....

jawdubb

Originally Posted by gharner
http:///forum/post/2655881
mantises dont eat corals and they are reef safe. they may eat fish and other inverts but not coral. in a ten gallon you could comfortably house a smaller species and you wouldnt have to worry about the glass breaking. only larger species even have the capability to break glass. with corals they may move them around where they want though....
Well said!! In a 10 gallon a few of the good species are the N. Wennarae, the G. Viridis, and a G. Smithi if you can find one. I would not recommend any of the larger species for that size tank though.

alex4286

ive seen tones of vids from the peacock mantis and it was in a tank with really really nice corals im almost positive their reef safe, just not safe with any fish or vert! lol

Originally Posted by Alex4286
http:///forum/post/2656387
ive seen tones of vids from the peacock mantis and it was in a tank with really really nice corals im almost positive their reef safe, just not safe with any fish or vert! lol
I have a 5" L.Maculata with fish and inverts and they are all fine. Mantis get a bad rep, but they really aren't as bad as everyone says. Seconded what gharner said about the glass breaking. It would need to be a large specimen for this to take place, and that's still an "if".

coral keeper

Mantis shrimp don't eat corals. lol I have no idea where omen nemzo and KurtyMac got there info from, but you both are very wrong.