Mantis Shrimp

spkdtch

just got a 125 gal that i want to set up soon, i plan on doing an aggressive tank and was hoping i could finally have a mantis shrimp. Do they really break glass or is that just a myth? the tank i bought was used and so i dont know if its glass or acrylic but it was very heavy so im assuming glass
would a mantis shrimp kill a bamboo shark? a sting ray? a lionfish? a porc puffer?
would the shark/ray/puffer kill the mantis?
assuming its at least 6" when i get one

sanchoy

-Yes larger species of mantis shrimps (peacock mantis) has been known to break glass. Smaller species will be ok. Peacock mantis shrimps can generate power equilavent to a 22 calibur shot.
-Mantis shrimp is known to kill fish that is small enough to be its dinner.
-Shark/Puffer may kill the mantis if they are big enough/ Just like any other invertabrate mantis shrimp also get hunted. Especially by the puffer

cranberry

IME, a mantis would not break the thick glass of a 125g. I know everyone always uses the example of their hits being equivalent to a 22 calibur shot so you think it must be able to break glass. But a 22 will also fly through acrylic like butter, but we don't but out the same warnings for an acrylic tank. I have no doubt some of the big guys can pound their way through glass, but then they don't belong in a tank that would be small enough to have such thin panels of glass.
I wouldn't mix a mantis with the fish you are thinking.

cranberry

Yes, I've read them... I even said I had no doubt they could break glass. Who even wrote the aquatic community article? References?
It's not so much the risk of one hitting the panel, but the repeated chipping away at the bottom of the tank while burrowing, that is the real problem. When placed in an appropriate sized tank I don't see this as a tangible issue. We've all heard it can happen.... how many have you known personally? Heard about at a local club meeting? Met on these forums? Again, I have no doubt it has happened, but I believe the risk to be very small when placed in appropriate sized tanks.
As an extra precaution, in my mantis tanks, I place a panel of acrylic on the bottom to help absorb the repetitious blows.
Remember IME means in MY experience. I was careful to put that there first. That's all I claim it to be.

sanchoy

haha.. its funny when members are so quick to debate something on any forum..
jumping the gun as always.. relax
1.)the thread poster asked "Do they really break glass or is that just a myth?"
-my response was "Yes larger species of mantis shrimps (peacock mantis) has been known to break glass
"
very clear cut and simple.. Every experience is different, every mantis shrimp is different..
the thread starter is also getting a 6 inch plus shrimp.. if it is a smasher, of course it will be capable of breaking glass. So the answer is YES IT CAN BREAK GLASS.. keep it simple.. it's easier that way my friend.
the end.. happy

cranberry

Well, I guess you're not one for discussions. That's what I like to do... have discussions, sorry you had to take it as me being difficult. I was just trying to share my experiences and my views. I read these forums to hear others. Regurged links don't really open up alot of conversation, especially when the forum you linked to may very well be deleted as are the rules of this forum.
You my friend are grumpy.

stdreb27

Dude, you just have to get a little creative. I wouldn't put a mantis in with the fish your mentioned. Second, I wouldn't put a mantis in a tank you're going to have to me arm deep in the water not really closely watching where you're moving stuff around.
However, it wouldn't be that big of a deal to plumb a 20 gallon acrylic tank into the filtration of the bigger tank. And stick a cheap pair of lights on there, toss some sand and some live rock and whalla, not only do you have a mantis tank, but a small fuge for macro algae...
2nd, there is no doubt they can break glass. The bashers not only will strike the object, but they move so fast the water cavitates creating a second impact that is only marginally less powerful.

sanchoy

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3090140
Regurged links don't really open up alot of conversation, especially when the forum you linked to may very well be deleted as are the rules of this forum.
You my friend are grumpy.
OH OH someone is going to snitch on me, by calling the mods

The reason why i posted the links is because Roy Caldwell is a very respected and known expert in the world of stomatopods (mantis shrimps), that is why i included his say in this. Of course Roy should have a say in "Are mantis shrimps capable of breaking glass". I am not the expert, Dr. Roy Caldwell is.. Or as you might say IHE (in his experience), he has seen and know that mantis shrimps are capable of breaking glass.
Now will all mantis shrimps break glass, that is a topic of another discussion. Can they break glass? most definetly.

i<3reefs

I actually watched a video where they did a study on how fast a full sized mantis shrimp punches. Surprisingly, it punches as speeds that create cavitation. They punch around 45mph in water, and they have the fastest feeding strike of any animal measured. They produce over 200lbs of force, and they believe they per body mass produce the most force of any animal. Mantis shrimp are a truly amazing little critter.
Cavitation
1.the rapid formation and collapse of vapor pockets in a flowing liquid in regions of very low pressure, a frequent cause of structural damage to propellers, pumps, etc.
Here is the video I watched. I think you'll enjoy it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHTTIg7HY80

i<3reefs

Oh, when cavitation happens, light is created. Under NASA slow motion cameras they were able to capture light created from Mantis strikes. Mainly because the water molecules between the mantis and what it was striking vaporizes.
Crazy stuff