mantis

space_geek

Originally Posted by AmandaL
N. wennerae come in as hitchikers on Caribbean and Gulf Coast live rock. If you can find a LFS that regularly imports this, then you may be able to get them cheap. I can get them at my LFS for $2.00 plus tax. This sounds insane, but I'm in Florida. (Unfortunately, they don't ship). N. wenns are usually very inexpensive compared to other species, so you shouldn't have to pay too much. The difficulty will just be finding one in Michigan.
Thanks for the info!! I think I will have to order online. Which do you guys think I should get...a peacock or a wennerae?

amandal

Originally Posted by Space_Geek
Thanks for the info!! I think I will have to order online. Which do you guys think I should get...a peacock or a wennerae?

Most people consider the peacock to be the most desirable pet mantis. They're colorful and outgoing, and provide endless carnage for your entertainment. For these reasons, they are also harder to come by and are much more expensive. They also require a slightly larger tank and thicker glass. The N. wennerae are easier to find, less expensive, and can be kept in smaller, thinner tanks. They can also be fairly shy, but the personality varies quite a bit from one N. wenn to another. You just have to decide what is better for your budget and setup. I love my N. wenns. I have 2 black ones and one red one. :joy:

celacanthr

N. wennerae!!!!
Oh, and the noise thing...I know someone on another forum...not AW2's one, but another...taht have a peacock in their bedroom, they never said anything about the noise.

space_geek

Originally Posted by CELACANTHr
N. wennerae!!!!
Oh, and the noise thing...I know someone on another forum...not AW2's one, but another...taht have a peacock in their bedroom, they never said anything about the noise.
So they dont do it constantly? I just dont want it to be a common occurence...I heard its pretty **** loud.

amandal

Oh, and by the way...the tank will be in my bedroom...will this be a problem noise wise?

Mine do most of their "building" at night, and sometimes I can hear the snapping from 3 rooms away. It depends how heavy a sleeper you are and whether or not you mind waking up occasionally. You'll probably get a lot of noise early on, but less once they get settled. I've found that once mine got settled and had the burrows complete, the snapping tapered off.

space_geek

I am a fairly heavy sleeper, but is it gonna scare the livin' daylights out of me when it does do it? I dont mind it if it isnt UNGODLY loud... What does it sound like?

celacanthr

Oh, and AmandaL, now that I have read your custom title, on this site, your sig on the other makes SO much more sense! LOL, you know about mr. Jefferson and all.

amandal

I am a fairly heavy sleeper, but is it gonna scare the livin' daylights out of me when it does do it? I dont mind it if it isnt UNGODLY loud... What does it sound like?
It sounds EXACTLY like someone snapping their fingers... just a little bit louder. I'm sure you'll get used to it. I love hearing mine. It's kinda fun to know that the lights are out back there and the fish are sleeping, but someone's hard at work.

amandal

Originally Posted by CELACANTHr
Oh, and AmandaL, now that I have read your custom title, on this site, your sig on the other makes SO much more sense! LOL, you know about mr. Jefferson and all.

Yep yep. :joy:

space_geek

Originally Posted by AmandaL
It sounds EXACTLY like someone snapping their fingers... just a little bit louder. I'm sure you'll get used to it. I love hearing mine. It's kinda fun to know that the lights are out back there and the fish are sleeping, but someone's hard at work.
Oh, good. Then I will get one...!! Thats exactly the kind of news I wanted to hear!

howardcu

Would one of the 12g nano cubes be too small for a Peacock? I am thinking of getting a 24 just to be on the safe side, but want a tank small enough to fit on my desk. Also I plan on putting acrylic sheets on the bottom and possibly along the sides that aren't curved glass. How long do the peacock mantis shrimp live in captivity and how often do they molt? Also are they ok to keep with zoo and shroom polyps or will they destroy them?