#$@% mantis

puffer200

took out my maroon clown the other day. have set traps..... no luck. can't figure which rock he's in. matter of time before all the hermits, snails, and shrimp are gone. lights go out and he just starts clicking away. any suggestions??????????

buckeye88

I heard that the best way to find one is to mix up a bucket of extra salty water (about 1.038 ppm or so) and dip your LR in it piece by piece for 1 minute each. Anything on the rock will come out. Anything that you want to keep simply put back in your tank and anything you don't has a date with your city's sewage system.

snakeblitz33

take a red flashlight or red LED light and shine it in your aquarium and find him. Find out exactly where he hides and then take that rock out and put it in FRESH water,... he'll evacuate. Either that, or if you're really desperate, get some heart worm medication from the vet and treat that SPECIFIC rock in some saltwater and wait overnight. (the medication only kills crustations) Make sure you wash off your live rock very very well and quarantine if before adding it back into your aquarium. Good luck, happy reefing!

fishy7

Harsh reality....Plan on pulling the rock. Those guys can do some real damage. He killed fish/crabs/shrimp 100's of $$. I tried all traps and then end up pulling 280lbs and dipped them in1.050++++ SG. It was not a good site but did get to restack which was cool.

alix2.0

Originally Posted by Hemicross
ok guys, everyone is talking about this mantis thing, does anyone have a picture?

hemicross

wow that is ugly, what this thing about losing your fingers and so on and not to touch it, what does it do? how big is it?

kevin34

Iv seen some that are about a foot long. They are incredible strong and they can punch as hard as a .22 bullet. There are even stories of them breaking through glass. They are extremely fascinating to watch in an acrylic tank by themselves though.