Manufactures not covering tanks mounted on custom stands?

boneybone

My Oceanic 215 came in along with their stand at my lfs. I haven't picked them up but I saw a nice custom stand I like. I went to the lfs to see my equipment and they had a 125 someone just bought back. It had been leaking and wasn't on a Oceanic stand when it started leaking. They are being asked a lot of questions about the tank from Oceanic. The stand I'm thinking about getting is built solid and has his 180 on it. As long as it leveled should I be worried? The lfs also said because most home made stands are built using 2x4's, the tank doesnt have room to give a little, I thought that was BS. I just told them I'll let them know if I want to pick up the stand with the tank.

scopus tang

Originally Posted by boneybone
http:///forum/post/2590771
My Oceanic 215 came in along with their stand at my lfs. I haven't picked them up but I saw a nice custom stand I like. I went to the lfs to see my equipment and they had a 125 someone just bought back. It had been leaking and wasn't on a Oceanic stand when it started leaking. They are being asked a lot of questions about the tank from Oceanic. The stand I'm thinking about getting is built solid and has his 180 on it. As long as it leveled should I be worried? The lfs also said because most home made stands are built using 2x4's, the tank doesnt have room to give a little, I thought that was BS. I just told them I'll let them know if I want to pick up the stand with the tank.
True statement ~ many companies will not warrenty any tank that is not placed on their own stand (usually says so right in the fine print).

scsinet

Oceanic does not cover tanks placed on custom stands.
All glass aquarium simply states they won't cover "stands not designed to hold aquariums" (which probably means they can claim any stand as unsuitable). Of course, Oceanic and AGA are now the same company, so who knows what they say.
Some tank builders like Glass Cages do not have such stipulations though.
The LFS's story is pure crap. Glass tanks do not need "give," in fact, there should be none whatsoever. Glass is not a material that needs or should be allowed to flex. Most homemade stands built by hobbyists who have their head together end up being overbuilt anyway, so it's usually a non-issue.
In the big picture though, all they warrant is the tank, that's it. Nothing in it, not the damage to your house, nothing. In the end, if your tank goes, the glass box will be the least of your worries.

boneybone

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/2590856
Oceanic does not cover tanks placed on custom stands.
All glass aquarium simply states they won't cover "stands not designed to hold aquariums" (which probably means they can claim any stand as unsuitable). Of course, Oceanic and AGA are now the same company, so who knows what they say.
Some tank builders like Glass Cages do not have such stipulations though.
The LFS's story is pure crap. Glass tanks do not need "give," in fact, there should be none whatsoever. Glass is not a material that needs or should be allowed to flex. Most homemade stands built by hobbyists who have their head together end up being overbuilt anyway, so it's usually a non-issue.
In the big picture though, all they warrant is the tank, that's it. Nothing in it, not the damage to your house, nothing. In the end, if your tank goes, the glass box will be the least of your worries.
Yes, if the tank broke, that would be the least of my problems. Maybe I'm just trying to justify the $1100 difference between the custom canopy and stand and the Oceanic stand, and this thread has nothing to do with Oceanic's warranty

scopus tang

Originally Posted by boneybone
http:///forum/post/2591124
Yes, if the tank broke, that would be the least of my problems. Maybe I'm just trying to justify the $1100 difference between the custom canopy and stand and the Oceanic stand, and this thread has nothing to do with Oceanic's warranty

If you want my personal opinion, I'd take my chances putting a tank on a custom built stand (at least one that I have built) any day over the c _ _ p they overcharge for on their company stands. Have you looked out how the company stands are built and what they are built out of? Generally speaking, they're not built for access nor are they all that sturdy ~ I know someone who had an AGA stand collapse from under their tank. JMO

scsinet

Originally Posted by Scopus Tang
http:///forum/post/2591361
If you want my personal opinion, I'd take my chances putting a tank on a custom built stand (at least one that I have built) any day over the c _ _ p they overcharge for on their company stands. Have you looked out how the company stands are built and what they are built out of? Generally speaking, they're not built for access nor are they all that sturdy ~ I know someone who had an AGA stand collapse from under their tank. JMO
I agree.
If you think about a manufacturer who builds tanks and stands... from the manufacturer perspective, they are replacing a stand and tank that cost them nowhere near what they charge to build, but you are stuck with extensive water damage, thousands of dollars in dead, stinking livestock, and likely lots of wrecked equipment that got soaked under the tank.
Frankly I trust my own stand building skills more than the manufacturers. They really aren't worried about someone who builds a stand out of good solid lumber and uses proper construction techniques. They are worried about some moron who puts a tank on a card table.
And have you see the doors on those factory stands? You can barely get two arms into one.

acrylics

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/2591607
Frankly I trust my own stand building skills more than the manufacturers. They really aren't worried about someone who builds a stand out of good solid lumber and uses proper construction techniques. They are worried about some moron who puts a tank on a card table.
I+1 IMO you have to look at it from the mfr's perspective. No mfr has the resources to inspect every stand that their tanks are placed on so it only makes sense that they will not warranty their tank unless it is placed on *their* stand as they know their stands will hold the tanks properly, so the story goes. There may be some marketing involved in this (obviously to sell their stands) but they do have to protect themselves from those placing the tanks on "card tables" as SCSI points out. It happens...
James