Maracyn II in a semi reef?

I have used these products with good results in my FO tank, and the box says that it is reef safe, but I am wondering if any of you have used these products in your reef without any damage. I have a false perc with what appears to be a fungus, small white cotton ball looking patch on his lip, he is eating and active but I need to treat and unfortunatley dont have a qt. Tank is stocked with 40 lbs of live rock, yellow polyps,feather dusters, 3 cleaner shrimp, two peppermint shrimp, and an abundance of hermits and snails. Dont want to kill $100+ of stock for one false perc but dont want to let him croak either. Any input, as always, is greatly appreciated.
[ April 18, 2001: Message edited by: Saltwater Marauder ]

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I am a user of Maracyn and Maracyn2 but I do not recall reading anything that says it is reef safe.
These products are antibotics and will definately effect inverts. My feeling is that they are FO, no LR, No LS or reef. Have you ever noticed the algae die-off after using the Maracyns?? What do you think it will do to your LR???

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Maracyn and Maracyn2 have Vit B's in them which is why it turns tank water yellowish. It is not the antibotic. Also, the yellow fades once you stop using the product, and will clear up completely within 24 hrs when you do a carbon filtration cleaning, which you should always do after using meds. The antibotic, however, will make your water more....sudsie :D

jimi

Like Trey said it is an antibiotic that will kill the good and bad bacteria. Dont use it in a reef.