Marbled Catshark Acting up

littlej2455

I have had my shark well over a year now and he is probably about 18 inches long. Not too long ago, maybe like last week, some times when he swims he kind of twitches and continues on swimming again. Sometimes it is rare for him to do it but I saw him doing it twice this morning and was curious on what this might be. His skin color is way too hard to see if he has any ich spots b/c his body color is a light grey and white. But is this a sign of some parasite (maybe ich)? Should I treat the tank?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Fish do this occasionally. Many times is an irritant parasite, but since you have had this shark for over year, it is doubtful that he is suffering parasites, unless you have introduced un-qurantined fish to the system.
Check your water conditions, try doing a water change. Is your equipment plugged in to a grounded GFI outlet?

littlej2455

Originally Posted by Beth
http:///forum/post/3068693
Fish do this occasionally. Many times is an irritant parasite, but since you have had this shark for over year, it is doubtful that he is suffering parasites, unless you have introduced un-qurantined fish to the system.
Check your water conditions, try doing a water change. Is your equipment plugged in to a grounded GFI outlet?
I havent introduced any new fish in the tank for a while now. The only levels that are up a little are my nitrites which are at 0.25. I am working on getting that lower but feeding a little less and adding in more healthy bacteria. All of my equipment is plugged into a ground outlet.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, the nitrites is the issue. The question is, why do you have nitrites? After a cycle, you should never have nitrites again, unless there is something wrong.
I suggest you figure out what is causing this, and also do small daily water changes until the nitrites are down to none.

littlej2455

Originally Posted by Beth
http:///forum/post/3068823
Ok, the nitrites is the issue. The question is, why do you have nitrites? After a cycle, you should never have nitrites again, unless there is something wrong.
I suggest you figure out what is causing this, and also do small daily water changes until the nitrites are down to none.
Yeah I am not sure why or where they came from, I haven't changed a thing since I've had the tank.