Marine Bioligist Salary?

kev

Im going to start college next fall, and I was curious to know... How much does a Marine Bioligist rack in a year? I cant seem to make up my mind on what I wanna go into yet, and since I love SW fish soo much I was thinkin about becoming a Marine Bioligist. Is their money to be made in this area? :D

k.lee

40K Up, but if your in it for the money, and are not talented/gifted, you'll probably drown in the job market :D

fshhub

90% of marine biologists don't make much at all, but the other 10% make probalby 40 or 50 or more, yes, soem make ungodly amounts, but there are very few, mos tdrown, as k.lee mentioned(way too many out there,and most of the known ones don't even make much, they jsut get all kinds of good funding and grants tha tmostly goes to expenses) :( sad, isn't it?, BUT most marine biologistws who are big names, are not in it at all for the money, but b/c that is what they want to do (their rewards are not their money, but playing with the fishes daily)
but, like he said, if you want to killthem, then you could make alot working as a marine biologist at a lrge firm even

k.lee

Originally posted by fshhub:
<strong>sorry, same field and research, different employer and maybe goal</strong><hr></blockquote>
Different employer with goals, definately. :/

galina

Right now, I'm only a freshman in highschool but I am greatly considering a job in marine biology. Next year, I will be able to take Marine Biology as a high school course, and I want to try out the subject. I love marine life, and I would absolutely love to dedicate my life to studying it.
I live in FL, which is a good place for Marine Biology, since alot of universities cover it down here.
To answer your question.. from what I've read, they only make 30-50 thousand a year.
Galina

fishfood

Ok, I went to college thinking i was going for marine biology.... well that changed quick. I ended up in the environmental science field and that is not much better. There are on average 300 incoming freshman that go to my college for marine bio and i would say only about 30 to 40 who graduate with that degree. Not to mention that about only 10 good jobs a year ever come open(that was the stat 5 yrs ago when i got out). Now my girlfriend is about to graduate next year and she is going to have a degree in marine bio. The only problem is there are no jobs. She may be going on a cool research trip to indonesia this summer for 4 weeks but that is it. If you are interested go with Biology. You can still get into marine bio that way but have a better background in biology and a chance for a better job, or a better chance to get your foot in the door.
Now these figures i gave may be way off. Most of those stats were from 4 or 5 yrs ago when i was looking at this for my major. So this is just my .02 cents. If you aren't out for money and want to do something that you really enjoy then go for it :p

fmarini

Hi:
I'm not in the marine sciences but i do have friends who decided to (I have my degree in human disease).
Once you graduate w/ a college degree(BS) in the marine sciences you will be qualifed to be a lab technician or research assistant. You'll probably get between 24-30K in academics, a little more in a private firm.
This is where you'll decide whether you want to get a MS or PHD in the sciences, becuz those salaries everyone is quoting you is what PHD level scientists w/ grants get paid (past post-doc training) . If your fortunate you can get a job in a college and teach marine sciences. That way your job is stable and you're not totally dependent on grants. However if you are probably interested in being outdoors doing research, and this usually requires grants to fund your project.
If you love the work, then you'll learn to deal w/ the money. If your good, you might end up on NOVA or Nat'l Geographic (like my friend is), and they'll sponsor a research project .
HTH
frank

phisherman

Its true that there is not much money out there for marine biologists but that dosn't mean that you can't go to school for marine bio and not find a real job afterwards. My suggestion is that you go to school and get your BS and after that work as a scuba diving instructor. Getting licensed to teach diving and give diving tours is not difficult and could be lucartive if you work hard. Then you could gain first hand knowledge of reefs, and oceanlife. If you are good enough you may get jobs with research facilities taking them on dives and gain some connections with them. You could back yourself into a job this way or you could stick with the private sector and make money with dives and teaching the general public about marine life. A dive instructor that has a lot of animal and reef life knowledge is more exciting and pleasureable than someone who just knows how to dive. If the divers have a good experience they will tell other people about your operation. Best of luck to you.

daisywb

Have you tried <a href="http://www.salary.com" target="_blank">http://www.salary.com</a> ? It'll look up the salary for the job in your area. Pretty accurate too :D
HTH and good luck!
-Daisy

brooklyn johnny

I just graduated from college in '99 with a B.S. in Biology. I had a specialization in marine science, but wanted to keep my options open, and so I received my degree in bio as opposed to something more specific. The whole biology field has very few high paying jobs, and they are so competitive you will be laughed at with anything less than a Master's, and most likely will need a PHD. However, I moved to Northern VA, and studied computer networking and engineering and make about 50K a year. I love the sciences, but basically in marine biology if you want to make a career, you can plan on either making a low salary, going to school until you are 30, or if you are Australian or English you might be able to get a show on the Discovery Channel :)

fishfood

haha, thats funny! Yea i have my BS in Environmental Policy and I'm back in school taking classes for a Geographic Information System(GIS) Certificate. Thats is where the money is in this field plus GIS is a growing field that any science major should look into taking classes dealing with it.

krux

Well I ended up not using my Marine Bio background after leaving school as I am currently attending culinary school, but I have some advice if you really want to work with the fishes outside of a lab some day.
To start get dive certified. A cert program and a fairly sturdy gear package will run you 600 to 700 dollars, and you can spend thousands if you have it at your disposal. Ok now on to the fishes.
I attended UC Santa Barbara, which has a fairly extensive and well funded marine science lab. Most of the other coastal UC schools (University of California for you non Cali types) have these facilities as well. Those that come to mind that have a lot of opportunities are UC Berkeley, UC Santa Cruz, UC San Diego, and if you are not interested in going to a UC type school Calif. State Univ. Monterey.
Ok now that we got the list of schools (there are others on the east coast and in the south, Woods Hole and Texas A&M, even MIT for example, but who doesn't want to live here?) you need to find a school that has a research diver program that will take undergrads. UCSB and UCSC (UCSC has lots of seal and great white research if you like adrenaline) both do, been to both schools and dove for both. You can write or call the others. To become a reasearch diver for the UC system you will go through a 100 hour program that will teach you everything from mixed gas diving, to underwater cartography, to search and rescue. At SB through their program I received both my advanced cert, as well as my rescue cert while in the program. My school also sponsored my dive master certification, but I have to pay the annual insurance myself now as it has been about 5 years.
Ok so now you are a diver with a certificate to work for the school... what next? Well if you are already a bio or marine science person you go directly to your professors and ask them to get a list of graduate students working in their lab, or maybe even the instructor him/herself. If you are a communications major or something you will probably need to take some bio classes to get a basic background in what you will be studying. If you can find a good project or lab to work in in your freshman year, it will guarantee you work for your full tenure at school. Most of the dives I did were voluntary, so do not plan on paying your way through school, but by the time I got out I had over 500 logged research dives under my belt, had worked for Woods Hole, Scripps, and the Moneterey Bay Aquarium, as well as some diving work for PG&E, ARCO, MMS, USGS, and the Navy.
Take aforementioned experience, the contacts you have made, add the references from the dozens of instructors and grad students you have likely worked for and you have a resume that will get you into those 10 good jobs per year. Also if you want to persue a Masters or PhD you will already have an Instructor to support you, as well as a project most likely.
Cooincidentally I have 9 months studying wrasses in moorea, 5 months at Vandenburgh AFB studying withering food disease in Black Abalone, and 4 months at the channel islands NMS looking at eel grass and pipefish under my belt because I was outgoing and willing to try anything. Most people would spend a lifetime saving to afford those kinds of interractions with fishes.
Good luck.

rockster

Just my 2 cents, if you really love that field, don't let anyone dissuade you. I say, go for it. Get your Bachelor's degree (BS). Then, you can pursue a career in other fields...say Medicine. They make at least 100G/year ;) And when you finish, you can have an office with a huge aquarium in your waiting room. I'm getting closer to that. :cool:

fishfood

I'm not trying to change someones mind, just trying to give what info i know from what i learned about through my schooling and my girlfriends. Hopefully this will save someone a lot of headaches. It is not an easy field with the damn chem (in my opinion, i got a business minor and slept thru the classes but the chem and all the other science classes take some work) and it typically does not pay well. As far as going to school just to have a BS in Marine Bio and then finding something else to do you have to be insane. I mean that is a good 4-5 years of school just to graduate and then try to find some other job in some other field.
Krux - why did you get out of the field? It sounds like you did some fun stuff. I would have loved those kinds of jobs. Right now at work I'm working on a oyster reef restoration project and I'm in the process of becoming scuba certified. I will be monitoring the reef when it is finished.