Marine Biology on the east coast?

neowind

I am not sure if this is the correct forum to post this but it does have allot to do with reefs and I know quite a few people visit this forum that might have information about this. Where would be the best place to attend school if you were going for Marine Biology degree? Also included in that keep in mind I want to be somewhere that has very nice reefs to explore while in schooling.

spun710

I am actually going to slippery rock university in PA starting in the fall for marine bio...I believe that during the spring and summer they have the class go on a trip to the ocean to study organisms...I have no idea if the class will visit a reef or not, but as far as i know SRU is one of the only schools along the upper east coast to offer that major

I was told by many people, teachers uncles aunts, that the best places were University of California, and Florida University. Don't know which one I'm going to, I want to study Stomatopods (Mantis shrimps) :D

fishfood

The University of West Florida has a Marine Bio program. My x and many of my friends were in that program. My x and one of my friends went to Indonesia for 5 weeks 2 summers ago.

neowind

Thanks a ton for all the info guys. I was trying to make a list and see what I was getting into :D

daisy

You definitely would be wise (for many reasons) to go somewhere that is near warm coastal waters. But if, for some reason, you wanted to really punish yourself and go somewhere relatively land-locked with harsh winters, but that has a marine lab where you could work and study during the summers, Cornell University has such a program. Like I said, though, it's not for the weak of heart or those who hate the winter.
They also have a program called "semester at sea" where you can do marine biology. Their marine lab is called Shoals marine biology lab (or something very close to that). Look into it if you're interested in a Cornell education. It opens doors.