Marine Biology?

S

saltyeel

I didn't know where to place this but I was possilby interested in marine biology can anyone tell about it are there any marine biologist out there? I am very interested!

S

saltyeel

Im in my high school senior year. What studies would it require

Check out a couple of college websites. They generally lay out their degree programs and list the courses you'd have to take. Marine biology is a science so you'd be expected to take lots of science classes i.e. chemistry, mathmatics, maybe a little physics, statistics, etc.
Texas A&M has a good program. Also, check out the Florida schools. Look at UCSD (University of California, San Diego). They run the Scripps Institute of Oceanography.
Hope this helps.

tatoush

Ok. In the land of renowned schools, massachusetts offers a few options for those intersted in that field. I am not a marine biologist however, living in this state one usually hears of these things. Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute is located on the southern shore of mass. If you haven't heard of it, then shame on you..jk.. seriously though its pretty famous. Also the University of Massachusetts offers a Marine Biology program and I do believe they have a campus location for research located on the northshore of Massachusetts.
Lev.

kelldog4

I studied Marine Biology for 2 years at Texas A&M in Galveston. The Marine Biology program there has a focus on marine mammals, not marine fish. They also offer a Marine Fisheries degree.
Like the previous posts say, if you are interested in either of these degrees you will have to take all of your foundation Science courses.
Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry, Calc., After that you have fun electives like, Marine Botany & Invertabrate Zoology.
Good luck

S

saltyeel

Does Marine Fisheries require alot of mathmatics? And what does it consist of doing?

fishfood

My girlfriend will be graduating in april with a degree in Marine Biology. We both attended The University of West Florida. I went with environmental science when i got sick of all the chem.
Here is a list of some of the classes she had.
BCH 3033/L Biochemistry I/Lab
PCB 3063/L Genetics/Lab
PCB 3253/L Developmental Biology/Lab
PCB 4043/L Ecology/Lab
BOT 4503/L Plant Physiology/Lab
PCB 4723/L Comparative Animal Physiology I/Lab
BOT 4404/L Aquatic Botany/Lab
MCB 4710 Biology of the Protists
MCB 4733 Marine Microbiology
PCB 4364/L Marine Ecological Physiology/Lab
PCB 4673 Principles of Evolution
ZOO 4254/L Marine Invertebrate Zoology/Lab
ZOO 4304/L Marine Vertebrate Zoology/Lab
ZOO 4513 Animal Behavior
ZOO 5514L Animal Behavior Lab
ZOO 5816 Zoogeography
STA 4173 Biostatistics :
BOT 2010/L General Botany/Lab
CHM 2210/L & CHM 2211/L Organic Chemistry I & II/Lab
ZOO 1010/L General Zoology/Lab
PHY 2048/L & PHY 2049/L University Physics I & II/Lab
PHY 2053/L & PHY 2054/L General Physics I & II/Lab *

ophiura

I focused on Marine Invertebrate Zoology in grad school, but did a general bio degree as an undergrad- with marine bio courses. IMO, get a general science degree as an undergrad, and be as diverse as possible. There are not a lot of Marine Bio jobs, and it pays to be able to cover a lot of material, and have a broad background (all the core sciences, math/statistics, ecology, genetics, etc). Plus, you may learn that in fact you like another field of science better. I think a general science degree will get you a bit further, esp. if you go somewhere where you can take a few marine bio courses (or summer courses at another unversity).
Do as much undergrad research as possible. Get field experience.