Marine Plant and Macroalgae I.D. thread

jaymz

Not that I want to head an ID thread, but if anyone feels like putting one together I'm sure plenty of people will appreciate it.
I have a couple plants/algae that have popped out if some rock i just bought, not sure what it is.
Just a thought

reefkprz

I have started on a couple macro algae of the moment threads. I am slowly building them up. once I get a bunch written up i will happily put them all into one thread.
personnallly I think marine plants and algaes are an often overlooked addition to making a reef/fowlr more natural looking.

jaymz

agreed. i think i have calupera sp. It came on some live rock.. it hasnt started growing wild yet but im debating removing it. Do any inverts eat this stuff?

h3b

What can I do with Halimeda? It grows like a weed in my tank. I probably throw away about a gallon a week

h3b

I almost positive. It matches up Exactly to the coin plant (common name, type of halimeda) and looks like the second picture, and much like the 1st down on the thread " Marine plant of the week : Halimeda" (3 pages back, sorry can't do links on my mac)

jaymz

Halimeda is growing like crazy in my tank too. I just got it a less then a month ago and its taking off, so is a shave brush plant. The halimeda had started randomly growing on a rock and is adding a full sized coin about every 2 days. Im starting to think it was a mistake adding it. It looks neat tho!
Anyone know how the shave brush plants reproduce?

tarantulandy

Hey, nice thread.
I love plants but I don't know much about any of these guys.
This one is pretty neat looking...hopefully it's not a problem.

I have bits of this all over. It doesn't look bad and seems to grow slow enough so far not to cause any sort of problems.

pleasants9

It was mentioned someone on this thread, their Halimeda was growing extremely fast, mine seems to slowly be dying off, i try to maintain a calcium level but it seems the little coin leafs are slowly falling off and disappearing. Any insight?

h3b

sorry, my halimeda is a hitchhiker so i din't plant or anything. /However my cal. is always like in the 500s... dunno if thats it.

pleasants9

any insight as to why my halimeda may be doing progressively worse? It keeps losing more color and it looks like some algea is growing on it too. I see pieces of it scattered on my sand floor.

jaymz

Originally Posted by pleasants9
http:///forum/post/2765642
any insight as to why my halimeda may be doing progressively worse? It keeps losing more color and it looks like some algea is growing on it too. I see pieces of it scattered on my sand floor.
Halimeda is a calcifying plant. If your calcium levels drop the plant will fal apart. It needs the same calium levels of most corals. They also need alot of strong light. So basically it needs to be treated like a stony coral.

cowfishrule

i just harvested and dumped a baseball sized plant of halimeda.
a week later, its growing back.
dont get me wrong, i like it alot, and it gives me false hope of nitrate exportation.

m0nk

I had some LR that had Halimeda hitchhiking on it and my tangs ate it all. Same with some small bits of caulerpa.