Marine Velvet

M

michiganjoker

:eek: I have a hippo tang with marine velvet in my reef tank. I removed the tang and I donot see signs on my maroon clown,yellow tang or bicolor blennie. What or can I put anything in my reef to stop this before other fish are infected?
HELP !

john f

How do you know it's velvet?
How long has the fish been symptomatic?
How many fish total in what size tank?
John

M

michiganjoker

I donot know for sure but the fish is scratching on the rock and it appears that he is sprinkeled with magic dust. I think ick would be larger spots and/or a cotton look to it rather then a white sparkel to it.
The fish has shown signs for two days and I removed him (DIY trap) and have him in a 10 gal tank.
My reef has a Yellow Tang,Bicolor Blennie and a priceless Maroon Clown. I want to kill this parasite off before they get infected.
90 gallon
HELP !

itchy

This all sounds to familiar to me. I think I have the same symptoms on my yellow tang. At first I thought I had Ich but the characteristics have not followed the Ich symptoms. Then I thought I had marine velvet but it has not spread to any other fish. I have been treating with Marex but you have to be careful if you have inverts as it looks like you do. I am seeing this white powder substance in some of the pet stores as well and they say its not Ich. But we all know how the LFS goes with all their bull sh*t. My tang is not getting worse (crossing my fingers) and none of the other fish are showing symptoms Yet. i am not sure if my UV is containing free swimming protozoans with help from the Marex or if this is something that only the yellow Tang contracted before I got him. I'm puzzled!!! Good Luck!
any advice as to what this could be from anyone else would be great.:mad: