Maroon and Gold clown attacked cleaner shrimp

justinl

I was watching my tank today and witnessed my clown taking a bite off of my cleaner shrimp's antennae and then spitting the chunk out. This guy has really gotten mean as he's gotten older. Is this odd or typical for Maroon and Golds? :(

striker

They are said to be one of the meanest. I believe the white striped are even more aggressive. I would hate to see what they're like if they adopt a coral or anemone.

brian'sreef

striker's quite right maroons get rather aggressive as they get older... once a pair starts to mate they tend to torment and many times kill other tankmates.. just their temperment ..not all are so aggresive but for the most part they are the most aggresive clowns..
Brian

efrank

My gold strip adopted my toadstool leather and has become agressive towards everything. i.e. cleaner shrimp, fish etc.

corky

My maroon clown-gold stipe is also very territorial. He has his anemone and doesn't let anyone near him. He actually was causing damage to my coral including taking bites out of my torch and then spitting the pieces out. Nasty fellas! When I moved him from one tank to the other he bit the net and was completely hanging from just his mouth.