Maroon Clown dying...

spacemonkey

Hey Folks, Just wanted to ask for some thoughts. My Maroon Clown appears to be dying. I don't think it is sick, I think it is just nearing the end of his days. I have had him for 10 years and he was full grown when I purchased him. He sits all day up at the top left corner of the tank, some times completely vertical with no movement and laboured breathing. His "ribs" are starting to show and what was once the glutton of the tank hasn't eaten in days. Everyone else is perfectly normal, no problems with chemistry.
My question is this, has anyone ever had a fish just expire? should I leave him in? or do something for him? I hate the thought of putting him down so to speak but it's tough to watch him just fade... any thoughts?

ericjn

my porc pine puffer started to look bad once to me... It was sad cus he lost his ability to stay in place and was foating around the tank while breathing heavly....its heartbreaking but I didnt want him to go out like that so i held him in my hand and petted him on his head till he passed on....i must have held him for 2 hours it was sad but ur clown sounds simular :( all I can really say is let it take its corse try not to make his last moments terrifying try to make him as comfortable as possible...I know holding a fish in ur hand underwater doesnt seem as comforting but after 10 min i think he was really calm and it was a bond moment.... it was very sad but also ill never forget that fish

spacemonkey

Hey, Thanks for your replies, He's getting worse but still fighting... I expect he'll pass this weekend didn't eat again today that makes it day number 4... hard to watch but I don't know what else to do...

spacemonkey

Our boy passed away today, came home from my night shift to find him unceremoniously stuck to the power head
. At least the ground isn't frozen yet so I buried him in the back yard. Thanks to everyone who replied.

srfisher17

Sorry to hear the news. I think I've learned when a fish just isn't going to make it (I doubt I'm always right). I put them in a plastic bag with water and into the freezer, its supposed to be a very humane way of letting a fish go peacefully and quickly. Now if they could just do that with me when the times comes....I have my Tupperware casket all ready, nobody is going to get 7 grand for a casket from my estate!