Maroon Clown

verde_ad

Has anyone had a maroon clown that was shy? I got one about a week and a half ago and all he does is hang out behind the rock. Is this normal? I thought they were bold fish.

bicolor225

Thats very common for clowns. In the wild they won't venture more than a foot away from there host anemone. So basically it's treating that rock as its anemone, for protection. As long as its it is eating and showing no signs of stress, I wouldn't worry about. Next time, you might want to post in the Clownfish&Anemone section. You would get alot more responses that way. Thus getting more views on the topic.
-Bicolor

verde_ad

Thanks for the help. Your right I should have posted in the clown forum, but I spend so much time in this one I forgot about it.:sleepy: It is eating and looks fine, so I guess I won't worry about it.

ohiorn67

Hello!! I just got a pair of maroon clowns last Friday and I find that at first they found a spot and hung there and now they found a spot on the other side of the tank they stay right at all the time....kind of hidden but as soon as food is seen or noticed they are happy! I am sure it is normal. Mine don't roam much at all. They are so gorgeous though!!

bicolor225

Your Welcome. Yea, but don't just turn a blind eye on the subject. Check on him periodically, for maybe this can actually turn into a problem. Maybe try getting him a bubble-tip anemone. See how he reacts to that. Remember also anemones also need good lighting, as they also have symbiotic algae for nutrition. You should provide the anemone with atleast 5 watts perr gallon if you had 6-7 watts per gallon would be better. And you also should feed it 2-3 times a week. Maybe with some Mysis shrimp or Vitamin-enriched brineshrimp.
-Bicolor

verde_ad

I have plenty of light, but my tank is going to be an sps tank, so I don't really want anything in it that will roam or sting. I have had anenome's before, but for some reason I don't really want one again. Maybe a RBTA, but i don't know. BTW I have 250 watt 20k hqi over a 30 gal. Thanks again for the help.