maroon clown

michellej

if i have a maroon clown in a 125 he has been in there for over a year and i was wondering if i can add one more maroon clown is it a bad idea?

dogstar

Maroons are one of the hardest clowns to add a mate. A lot of aggression from the female and often fatal, may take a few trys. I posted this in the Clownfish board too.
Most any clown kept as the only one in a tank will morph to female quickly. When choosing a mate for it, pic from a group, not another individually kept one and not the biggest or dominate one from the group. If you can determine the dominate MALE then fine otherwise choose one thats small but appears to be active and brave.

wla1610

I added a 2nd maroon to a tank with 1 very large female and I was successfull. The other thing that seems to help along with making sure its a male, is to also have it atleats half the size of the female. The male I added was almost a 1/3 of the size of the female.
The male showed submission like crazy. Also, the female seemed to like him right away because she kept trying to pull him into her anemone.
Hope this helps you.

morales67

SORRY FOR CHANGING THE SUBJECT
but i just want to know how big do these get?, are these the biggest clowns? :happyfish

mr_bill

Originally Posted by morales67
SORRY FOR CHANGING THE SUBJECT
but i just want to know how big do these get?, are these the biggest clowns? :happyfish
I've seen some big ones. There is a standard maroon at my LFS now that is closer to 8".