Maroon Clown

alex.m

Hi! My maroon clown is not very active ever since i got it. Is this normal for that fish? And it always stays at the top!!! Thank you!

michaeltx

normal till it gets usta the tank but should start getting active.
what are your water parameters temo, salinity,ammonia,nitrate, nitrite, all that good stuff.
w3hat other tank inhabitants. and when did you add the fish ?
Mike

alex.m

Parameters are good so far Ph 8.4 Salt 0,021 nitrates nitrites and ammonia -0. Got fish 3 days ago in a pet world. No other fish yet just a few hermit crabs and snails. Thank you

michaeltx

I would raise the salinity just a bit IMO its a little low but there are some that run it about that.
whats the temp of the tank?
might just be adjusting to the tank just have to watch her to see if thats the case.
Mike

michaeltx

thats not it sometimes when the temp is elevated the firsh will go to the top but 80 is a reasonable temp.
so after all that my best guess is that shes getting usta the tank should pass in just a few days if thats the case. just keep an eye out for signs of stress ich and parasites for the next few days.
Mike

michaeltx

wait till the clown starts acting first :D
but clowns are pretty easy fish to add around as long as you dont go with large aggressive fish like puffers triggers and some wrasses.
but cardinals, gobies, chromis, maybe a tang, the choices are almost limitless are there any fish that you would like to have?
Mike

michaeltx

look through the ubuildit section on the left and look at some of them and see if there are some that you would like to have. just keep in mind some of most of the wrasses, puffers, triggers, and eels are not good choices with small peaceful fish.
also is this going to be a reef or is it going to be a Fish Only tank.
Mike

alex.m

I haven't desided yet more likely fish only at list for now and one more question how do i raise solenity without hurting anything? Thanks

michaeltx

well if there is a chance of going reef then go with reef safe fish if not your going to have fun catching them when you start adding corals. if not them its wide open LOL
to raise it slowly when you do a water change make the new water just a little higher than the tank and do that slowly and it will start to rise. or you can topoff with saltwater but watch it closley if you do it that way it can go up quickly.
Mike