Maroon Clowns and Condy Anemone

Jen831

So I have a quick question. I have a Maroon Clown who had originally been hosting a green bubble tip that I had put in my tank for her. She really loved the anemone, to the point that she ended up smothering it to death. I mean she NEVER left this thing except to eat. Was probably mostly my fault, I think it was too small for her. So I recently got a much larger Condy anemone hoping since it has longer tentacles she wouldn't rub herself on it as much, and kind of stay in the tentacles. So far she hasn't shown much interest in it and I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with maroons and this species of anemone. Thanks so much.

lmforbis

Unlikely she will ever take to the condy. They don't naturally host clowns, they evolved in separate environments so the slime coating that protects clowns might not protect them from condies. I suspect that on rare occasions it will happen but I'd be surprised if she took to it.

Jen831

I see that makes sense. I heard it was kind of rare for them to host that species, but wasn't really sure as to why. Maybe since I'm starting to add some corals to the tank I'll get some soft corals they are known to sometimes host and see what happens. Thanks for the reply.

lmforbis

I've had oscelaris go to toad stool leathers and gondipora, I've head of them going to hammer corals as well. My maroon just made his home in a corner of my tank.

Jen831

That's what mine is currently doing. She found herself a little rock ledge to hang out on and guard lol