Maroon Favia losing color- before and after photos

timbodmb

Hey Guys...
I've had this maroon Favia for over 6 months... and it's losing it's green color around the mouths.... any suggestions? I feed it coral food mix, it eats mysis, cyclopeze, all enriched with chromoplex... I've been trying to change it's location in the tank to see if it needs less/more light- But it is still losing it's color. I've also noticed that it's sweeper tentacles don't come out anymore...
Thoughts?
PS.- It's about 12" below surface of the water w/ 2X 150Watt MH

jeanheckle

Coral turn brown when they aren't getting enough light as this is the easiest color for light absorption. I would definately go with changing the bulbs, and moving it alot can cause stress. I would put it back where it was initially happy try new bulbs and make sure nothing in the tank is picking at it.

timbodmb

I really am due for new bulbs... I think you both are right in this being the culprit... Just have to wait to afford them!~

rebelprettyboy

Favias dont really need much light so u might actually be givin it to much IMO. and theyll loose color and fade cuz of that...
So put it further down or move it under a ledge or something and see what happenes

ci11337

I agree, looks a little washed out to me. Still replace the bulbs but try giving less light.

peef

I agree with too much light. I had a beautiful favia that started fading then had rapid tissue loss....I gave it to a friend who has standard PC lighting and it has made a complete recovery and has doubled in size in a year. Too much light!