Maroon losing skin

cloienc27

I have had my maroon clown for 7 years and has made it through all the ups and down in my aquarium. However this is the weirdest I've seen from her so I need some help on solving this. She has no skin covering on her upper fin, only on the first 5-6 spikes. What in the world could b causing this??
she has contracted several diff weird things before and gotten rid of it on her on over a day. But this seems a little more severe, what should I do?
I also just realized after introducing a new coral in my tank I have contracted "brown jelly disease" and it is taking its toll on my torch coral daily! Which ive read getting loguls solution to dip it in, just trying to find some now. Could this b affecting her??
Any suggestions or comments very much welcome!!

mr. limpid

Yes coral can carry parasites or the water it comes in can carry other things, aways best to dip new corals b4 adding them to DT (spilled milk). As for your maroon you'll need to get a picture of your fish to ant help also this sound s like a bacterial disease. Go to the disease form add read Beth's advise on how to post for help and also there are good threads on some common disease you could read.

btldreef

Do you have a QT tank? That looks like fin rot
As for the brown jelly disease, GET THAT CORAL OUT OF YOUR TANK!! I just went through a round of this and it just about ruined all my Euphyllia sp. corals. You need to remove any of the dead or dying heads and dip the healthy coral. If you've allowed it to slowly die in your tank over a few days, chances are other corals are now going to be infected with it. There is no prevention for brown jelly disease ahead of time, so dipping would not have made a difference and it is not what is causing the issues with your maroon, just a coincidence.
How is your water quality?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Eroding fins such as this usually means that fish is not getting adequate nutrition or poor environment. Or both.
What and how often do you feed this fish?
What are your water readings?
How long has this problem been going on and how fast did it progress?

cloienc27

Last I checked the params were good, I'm at work and can't remember the #s. I feed my fish everyday with flake food and once a week when I feed my corals she gets a good feeding off my mixture which is a combo of brine shrimp, cut pieces of raw regular shrimp, oyster eggs, cyclopeeze some more stuff but that's for the filter feeders.
I didn't think to mention though I did recently loose a lot of water from my aquarium last week bc I was out of town and my dog sitter never put water back in it so after a week when I came home I had to add about 10% of the volume back to it and I did it quite rapidly, but I never run into problems even adding like 3 gals at a time. Maybe this threw the balances off.

cloienc27

I just saw this today but it could have started a few days ago and I just haven't noticed, idk. I will have to recheck all my params, I think something may have been thrown off by the drastic water change.
My tank has always been beautiful And healthy and everything always out FULL!! Now all of a sudden stuff is starting to deteriorate after this water incident and the new galaxea coral. I've taken a turkey baster and sucked out the dying heads from the disease so it's not floating around like the plague.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloienc27 http:///t/390044/maroon-losing-skin#post_3451581
I just saw this today but it could have started a few days ago and I just haven't noticed, idk. I will have to recheck all my params, I think something may have been thrown off by the drastic water change.
My tank has always been beautiful And healthy and everything always out FULL!! Now all of a sudden stuff is starting to deteriorate after this water incident and the new galaxea coral. I've taken a turkey baster and sucked out the dying heads from the disease so it's not floating around like the plague.
Why was a drastic water change needed?
Sucking off the dying heads usually isn't enough, they have to be physically removed.

cloienc27

It wasn't needed I was just out of town for over a week and the person who was watching my dog was supposed to keep a check on everything and she just did not think to add water. I do not have a overflow system on this aquarium so I always have to add some water to it bc it has a open top.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloienc27 http:///t/390044/maroon-losing-skin#post_3451577
I feed my fish everyday with flake food and once a week when I feed my corals she gets a good feeding off my mixture which is a combo of brine shrimp, cut pieces of raw regular shrimp, oyster eggs, cyclopeeze some more stuff but that's for the filter feeders.
That diet could well be the problem. I suggest that you start feeding your fish 2x a day with a healthy variety of food. Maybe will will like to come up with a healthy and varied diet by making your mix.
Start using zoecon or selcon supplement in 1 meal a day.
You didn't say how long the fish's fins have been eroding.

cloienc27

Im having to retype bc it didn't post my last reply....
i just noticed her dorsal fin yesterday but that couldn't have happened overnight, and I stare at my tank almost daily. Where I live my resources for good fish food or supplements are few and far btwn so I'll prob have to order some of that! But thanks everyone for all the info!!
Fingers crossed but I did not lose another head of my torch coral today :D
i did some research and found that I could give my coral a iodine dip solution. It's called Lugols, have you heard of it or used it before?? It's suppose to rid ur corals of parasites and bacteria.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I used to make my own fish food composed of various seafoods I would find in the fish market at the grocery store. Add in a sheet or so of algae sold in the hobby, then blend it into micro pieces with a dedicated food chopper that you can also get for around $12 at the grocery store or walmart.
I would then flatten out this mixture into about 1/2" and store it in ziplock freezer bag in freezer. When you want to use it, just cut off a piece that you are going to use, float it in a bit of tank water for a couple of mins, then feed to fish. High quality food that the fish love. Also, good for some of the other critters in the tank if you have a reef tank.
I would consider doing this immediately for your fish, and add selcon or zeocon to one of the two meals offered to your fish daily.
The problem you are having is certainly due to what I have discussed here. Your clown's situation is rather serious at this point and requires quick action if you want to save this fish.

cloienc27

Ok, I went by the pet store today on my way into work and picked up a few things. I have to order the selcon bc it's not offered in my area anywhere. I will run by the market and pick up some seafood to grind together. Will clowns eat seaweed? I was thinking of trying it but haven't really researched it yet. But yes I def agree that immediate action is needed, obvious.