maroon pair

elguapo

I have a pair of maroons in 30 gallon and am looking to split the tank and put the pair into a nano. The female is large and in charge (about 5 inches at least). I was thinking maybe a 12 gallon. The tank would just house the pair and maybe some shrimp. And all of those crazies who think a 30 gallon is cramped please don't bother posting.

viper_930

12 gallons is definitely way too small for them. The sheer size of the female should tell you that.

viper_930

Not sure what kind of advice you're looking for.
There's no question in your first post.
The 30 gallon is fine for the pair, though you probably have a reason why you want to move them. Why make a nano instead of another 30 gallon or so?

elguapo

im getting a 60 to put in its place and the 30 is too big to find a place for. what i would like to know is what size tank do most people keep an adult pair of maroons in? esp. when it is sans other tankmates.

elguapo

also the 60 is coming with two huge lions in it and while the female would be fine the male would be lunch. yes i know 60 is too small for lions(which is why im a finding a home for them)

reef diver

Dood if ur gonna b that way dont bother starting a thread,if your looking for advice, take it, dont try to get the answer ur looking for, think about it a 12 gal is about 10 inc long how would u feel if u were stick in a closet!

elguapo

This is why people bag on this site. I have kept the pair in a 30 gallon with no problems for nearly 2 years. What I said in my initial post was to keep the nuts from getting upitty about having a maroon pair in a 30 gallon and thinking it was too small. I'm wondering what size tank (if any) I could downsize to. I love my fish dearly, I'm not planning on sticking them in a closet. By the way its insane to me that people rag on others for tank sizes with remarks like above when I was obviously asking for the well being of my fish. That is why I am asking these questions .......looking for people in the know. These are not open water fish roaming the reef. They hardly leave their "couch" (read anemone) for more than a quick circle around the tank. So does anyone have an opinion other than don't downsize beyond my 30 gallon?

aquatics24

Ok size tank is very hard to guess, how most people figure is their size and how active...a rule of thumb for fish (lets make it even) if the fish is 5 inches long, the width should be twice that, and the length should be 4 times that...so your looking at a 20x10, thats about 12g. This is without live rock, sand etc...so you could probably get them in a 20g-25g but if you think about it, fish are use to the ocean, theres no glass blocking them in...but then if you think of the fish store they are sold in 5-10g tanks...its up to you...you could have them crammed in a small tank, or you could have them in an open tank, its what works for you...tried to give you somewhat of help...

viper_930

I don't think that rule of thumb really works. That would mean my 1" perc would be fine in a 2x4" tank? The reason why the LFS sells fish from very small tanks is because they don't plan on keeping the fish for very long.
elguapo, so after you remove the lions are you going to put the maroons into the 60?

elguapo

i wasnt planning on it. i wanted to do a FOWLR more aggressive tank with the 60 and im not sure if i want to get lights to accommodate the sabae the maroons are hosting. i have kept the pair with sf eels, undulated triggers, and dogfaced puffers in the past but that was when the more aggressive fish were all juvis and not much of a threat. that being said i would rather keep the maroons out of the stomach of the fish i plan on getting.

reef diver

My simple advice is, at most downgrade to a 25 no less, in fact, i wouldent downgrade, i understand u love ur fish, but IMO thats tooo small