Mass extinction of tank

ronwhite

Hi guys,
My father has been a saltwater enthusiast since 1972. About 4 years ago he setup a new tank, and everything was stable for well over a year. He slowly got the population of fish up to where he wanted it, and without warning all of the fish died off. He's had several times where a few fish have died off, but never a mass extinction like this; also, it was always due to parasites.
Here are the specs of the tank (2 days before and after the extinction):
Size: 90 gallon
Filtration: Marineland 360 canister filter and a protein skimmer
Coral: 6 pieces of natural coral, and 3 inches of crushed coral for a base
Fish: red coris wrasse, majestic angelish, volitans lion, blue damsil, niger triggerfish, and yellow tang (in that order)
Amonia: 0
Nitrate: 0-12.5
Nitrite: <.3
pH: 8.2
Phosphate: .25
Alkalinity/Salinity: 1.023
Temp: 76-78 F
The story: He fed them and they looked okay in the morning (8am). At 1pm he noticed that the angelfish was gasping. He looked at the temp and salinity (normal), and then performed additional tests (also normal). He decided to do two partial water changes as a precaution, and then within an hour all of the other fish started to gasp. Shortly after, the angel fish died.
At that point, he mixed up new salt water in a 5gal pail, and placed the fish in it (temp and water quality checked out fine). The fish just seemed to worsen, and then within 6 hours all of them had died.
The water clarity never became cloudy; it was as clear as crystal.
He told me he suspects that it's something about the water supply, because the fish were acting as if they were poisoned. He just wants to try and narrow down what else he could be testing for, to prevent this in the future.
If you guys need any additional information or have any ideas on what could have happened, please ask/share.
Thanks!

flower

Hi,
Welcome to the site. First I'm surprised to see nitrite reading anything in an established tank. Nitrite is the follower after an ammonia spike. Nitrite and ammonia are indeed poison to fish.
The fact he was doing water changes...was he also cleaning the heck out of his canister filter? Crushed coral substrate...did he also vacuum that? It sounds like he created an imbalance of his good bacteria. Angel fish are extra sensitive to a sudden change like that, then the added stress of the bucket and I hope it was a FISH ONLY bucket that nobody else in the houshold used for anything.
I know in my house I have to guard the fish buckets, an empty bucket is just too easy to grab for whatever reason besides what we want it for and sometimes...because we yell...the kids/other half, don't tell us or give it a thought.
It's also possible that the new mixed salt was not dissolved completely (24 hours to churn before use is the rule) resulting in the SG not really properly matched when he did the quick mixes. Even though the SG read correct when he added the fish in the buckets or did the other water changes... after the salt dissolved, it would be off the chart high and the solid salt crystals can burn gills.
I also have a 90g tank, and I used to have a canister filter. Seemed everytime I did a good cleaning I had an ammonia spike. I purchased another canister, and then cleaned only one at a time...problem solved. I couldn't bring myself to only half clean the canister if I was going to get the thing out, and disconnect the hoses to mess with, so that was my solution.

beaslbob

Sorry to hear.
Can't be much help but FWIW my only crash was after I did maintenance with some gloves on. seems the gloves added a toxin the severely stressed the fish. I was able to remove most of the fish, treated with prime but did lose two fish and all corals. Ammonia had spiked to way above the hignest api test kit reading. then a week later after I rinsed the filter media (crushed oyster shells) ammonia dropped to 0 in a day.
When I hear of mass problems (crashes) I always suspect the owner accidently added a toxin. Especially when it happens right after a water change.
Not that any of that helps but perhaps gives you some idea of what to consider.
my .02

ronwhite

Flower:
Showed my dad. He said that the Nitrite was pretty much 0.
What's odd is that he hadn't done a filter change, water change, added fish or anything in the last couple of weeks. The only thing that had touched the water was his magnetic algae scrubber and their food.
As far as the bucket, he uses it only for the fish and he washed it out multiple times before placing the fish inside.
Beaslbob:
He agrees with you about it being some sort of toxin introduced to them, but we just can't figure out how. He hasn't changed anything in the years he's done this.
I'm going to go over all his supplies and see if maybe some sort of contaminate was exposed to them.
Thanks guys

15 characters

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

letters