mass fish keeping without copper?????

kronnk7

Hi guys, I need some help. I was made SWF manager at the lfs and was wanting some advice on how to keep ich under control without dosing with copper. I've been thinking about how and I'm not sure how to. Please guys help.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
There is no way to keep it under control except to QT the fish. Since most LFSs can not do that, they typically dose with cooper or formalin. Both of these medications are toxic and, using the procedure that LFS commonly use to dose, ich is not really killed, but only retarded [until the unsuspecting hobbyist buys the fish and gets the fish to their tank--then ich emerges with a vengeance].
I commend you for at least thinking about this issue, but I really don't see an easy answer. I have always felt that it was up to the hobbyist to deal with ich.
I suppose you could do some heavy feedings with fresh garlic as a preventive. The garlic process is described in detail in the FAQ Thread located at the top of the Disease Forum.

teen

have a sign hanging in the store that lets people know they should quarantine all fish before adding them to there tanks, this way if a fish does leave your store with ick, you gave the customer fair warning. and some fish can do fine with small doses of copper, and others are best left without copper, so imo you should have 2 or 3 different systems with different quantities of copper, ans another without, and then add the fish to the proper system. HTH.

kronnk7

Thanks Beth as always the voice of the expert. My store is part of a large chain of stores and I'm tring to clean things up a little. The good thing with my store is that they like the all natural way of doing things. I'll see about maybe soaking our pellet food in xgarlic to maybe help. I'm tring to stop the copper. I hate dosing my beautiful fish with copper. :mad: I'm setting up a new sump for our 180 gal. reef tank, I can't wait to get it going. Thanks again Beth. Hey Beth did you ever get the new tank setup yet?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The all natural way of dealing with ich is hyposalinity. However, I don't see how it would be practical for a LFS do hypo on their fish, just because of the acclimation process.
If you do use copper, then use Cupramine, maintaining copper levels at .4ppt using a Seachem copper test kit to ensure that that level is maintained. Cupramine is a relatively safe copper, less harsh, and effective. Maintain very good water circulation and good water quality.
If you follow this process, at least you will actually eliminate the ich problem [if you keep your new fish for at least a few wks]. In the long run, I would think that customers will appreciate getting ich-free fish from your store, and reward you by patronizing your establishment.
Good luck!

maeistero

:thinking: another consideration is "if" it actually is ich. try to get a couple books on marine disease and do some dissections on any deads. you'll be amazed at what you think is ich that actually isn't.

kronnk7

We already have uv's on the systems. I think I'll try the cupri. like Beth was talkinging about I read up on it alittle and it sounds good.

mbrennan

You might be interested in reading this ....
"Quarantine of Marine Fish (Teleost) Using Hyposalinity
Hyposalinity is not new to the aquarium industry and has been used for the treatment of marine fish diseases for many years. The most common salinity used and cited in the literature is 16ppt. Hyposalinity is also commonly used as a relatively short- term bath to shock osmoconforming parasites, causing them to fall off of the host. This treatment has had mixed results based on opinions of different facilities and individuals. Hyposalinity has been extremely useful at the Oklahoma Aquarium's quarantine facilities. All of the teleost (bony) fish systems are maintained at 11parts per thousand salinity (1.008 SG) with the exception of the north pacific cold water systems. Low salinity is not used or recommended for elasmobranchs such as sharks or rays. As found at the Okahoma Aquarium hyposalinity plays a large role in the prevention and treatment of disease. Hyposalinity is also theorized to help in the osmoregulation of fish with abrasions and damage to the mucus layer."
The rest of the article can be read at ...
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...2004/short.htm
Hope this may help ...