Mated Pair????

scooby1350

Why do Coral Banded Shrimp Need to be a Mated Pair? Does that mean one is a Female and one is a Male and they will have more?
I am new to saltwater tanks and just starting to setup a 55 gallon tank. Everything test out, so I can start adding more to my tank.

jacksonpt

I assume you saw that on a website or at the LFS when you were looking into buying them?
I don't think they NEED to be a mated pair, that just means that they have mated in the past so you could assume they would again if conditions were right.
I think you could buy 2 CBS (i.e. not a mated pair) and be OK, however they can be rather aggressive at times, and buying 2 does not guarantee they will mate.

scooby1350

Well I was looking to buy some on the Saltwaterfish site and in the description they have "Keep only one per tank. (Unless mated)"
That's why a was concerned about buying more then one. I want at least two in my tank if not more :)
Plus I was wondering if they would breed and I could get more?

benter

I guess that you love CBS's..I wouldn't plan on having many other small inhabitants..I had to get rid of the one I tried..anything it could catch was dinner..cleaner shrimp, fire shrimp, circus goby...NO CBS's for me..JMO..though. I know a lot of people on here have had a lot of luck with them but not me..

scooby1350

I like the way they look and I know that they will always be out in the open for everyone to see. I am hoping I will have good luck with them. As for right now these are the only kind of shrimp I am going to get. I do have hermit craps and snails, so hopefully the CBS won't eat them .

sepulatian

Originally Posted by scooby1350
What time of year is the best chance of finding a Mated pair? Right now no one has them in stock.
Yeah, the one I had was very aggressive as well. Would actually try to catch anything it could. I spotted him one day catch my marine catfish (in mid swim) and start to eat his face! They can be aggressive little buggars! If you already have one then don't get another, they need to be introduced at the same time, or even a male and female will eventually kill the other.

sepulatian

I don't have any yet that's why I trying to find a mated pair right away.
Well if you realy want a mated pair then wait untill the LFS has had them for a few weeks and they always stick together. CB shrimp generally don't like each other. You will be able to tell if they are a pair or not!

nick76

I don't have any yet that's why I trying to find a mated pair right away.
Dont forget CBS can get Huge, ive seen them with a Antena span of like 6 to 8 inches.

scooby1350

Well I am working on adding 60 pounds more of Live rock so hopefully they will have plenty of places to hide and stand without affecting the other fish.
Or I could do what my friend did and buy an snowflake Eel that takes care of a lot of fish and CBS :) Let just say the Eel got a new home in his own tank they tend to have an expensive diet in a reef tank.